Breeder vs Vet - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Breeder vs Vet

my 7 month pup has been limping lately, took him into the vet. Vet put him back on puppy food and said he'll be fine, tendons just need to grow and it won't be a long term issue. My breeder said he needs to be on adult dog food. Any help with this? I just want my pup to be healthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Elite Member

My vet says to put GSD puppies on adult food and if they are on a puppy food make sure it's a large breed puppy food. They really push to have them on adult food though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Riley - 11/05/2012-8/30/2013 (Myasthenia Gravis)
He will always be in my heart.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

well i had him on eukenuba large breed but my vet said to put him back on science diet large breed puppy food. idk wtf to think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Elite Member

the breeder had my puppy on eukenuba large breed puppy food. I recently switched him to natural balance original adult food. You just don't want them growing to fast. When they grow to fast they can get pano.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Riley - 11/05/2012-8/30/2013 (Myasthenia Gravis)
He will always be in my heart.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Crowned Member

science diet is crap and your vet sells it....

I spent 4 years in vet school working while ex went through - Hills does tons of stuff for vet students....so they sell alot of Hills SD - some of them like kidney diets are necessary...

I would never ever feed SD to a healthy pup.....your breeder is right - get a good quality adult food - not SD, not Eukenuba (not much better imo) - Fromm, Earthborn, Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, Arcana, Merrick - A GOOD food!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Banned

i've never fed puppy food to my dogs. did the Vet say your dog
has pano?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 01:40 AM

I have always had mine on ALS food since I bought him home at 3 months old. I've heard of staying away from large breed foods due to the possibility of too much growth too quickly though. However, I don't think this is true for all large breed foods (this is where knowing what is healthy, and doing some research on brands comes into play).
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 07:32 AM

my puppies are always on adult food.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 04:47 PM

You really want to look for a lower protein food to keep growth slow, if you are feeding a quality diet it doesn't matter if it is puppy or adult food as long as you don't have high protein. Try to stay in the 20s for protein, like 27-29%. And yes, yes, yes to everything Wolfstraum said! I spent a lot of time researching food because I worked at a pet food store that was very very strict about the food they sold. Eukanuba is pushed by breeders because they have a "breeders program" where they buy X amount of bags and they get X amount of bags for free. And the vets sell SD because of what Wolfstraum said Good luck!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 06:17 PM

A quality food ( not Hill , Eukanuba , or anything like that) in either all life stages , adult , or large breed puppy is fine. I did Blue Buffalo Wilderness large breed pup..but it gave him runs. Then I switched to taste of the wild adult and he did great on it. Now he has been on a BARF diet for 2 months and he is still doing fantastic

Just stay away from the supermarket brands . Most vets push Hills because like PP said they are often educated by Hills and they often sell it in their office. Some vets are a bit " Hills Indoctrinated" .

Alvin - GSD - born @ late February 2013
Bo - Boxer/Hound - born @ late June 2008
Greta - English Mastiff - born somewhere between 2003 and 2005 ,estimated.
ALL MY RESCUES!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page