When should we no longer separate 15 w/o from 2y/o??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

When should we no longer separate 15 w/o from 2y/o???

Hello All,

Just looking for opinions...We have an (almost) 2 year old male and just added a 15 week old to our family. Presently, we keep them separated by a play fence as our male is about 95lbs and the pup is approx 25lbs. The pup is fearless and immediately wants to mouth and jump and bat our Guinness, and he does not show aggression, but will attempt to put his mouth around her. When did you all start to introduce your pups to the pack? I know that a certain learning curve has to occur and that he has to show her where she falls in the pack, but I do not want the puppy to get hurt. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Master Member

Right away. I had my shep/rottie mix for three years before I brought home a 10 week old chow mix puppy. My three year old had been extensively socialized since he was a puppy. Had puppy play groups, dog parks, dog classes, brought in a cat, took in foster dogs, he went everywhere with me. This dog was just great...and he had a great affinity for small dogs, puppies, cats. And he was well under my control. So I had no qualms about letting him around my puppy. They were both males and my three year old was neutered. They were fantastic together until my shep/rottie passed away eight years later. Never one fight or growl between them. They wrestled, played, chased, humped, put their mouths on each other...but never aggressively.

I think a lot depends on the temperament of your dog and puppy. My dog was socialized, very patient and was of medium drive. My puppy was a chow mix so more relaxed/aloof. They just fit temperament wise. Most dogs seem to get that it's just a puppy. But I would watch them closely and see how they react to each other.

How is your adult dog's temperament? How is your dog with other dogs? Have you had the dog since it was a puppy? My three year old...let's just say I knew every thought in his head. LOL I could read him since I had him since he was 9 weeks old. I was very confident of his behavior and tolerance levels.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 04:34 PM

I agree with the above..I have never separated puppies that I've brought home from my adult dogs. I do a supervised intro, and go from there.. I do NOT however, leave a puppy alone, unsupervised with my adult dogs..To many things can happen by accident or otherwise..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page