Hip Dysplasia, Bath Time, and Socialization! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Hip Dysplasia, Bath Time, and Socialization!

This is a multi-topic thread. First point is hip dysplasia. The mother of my puppy was a purebred GSD. Father a pure bred Australian shepherd. Both breeds common victims of hip dysplasia. I read it is more common in purebreds than mutts, but off a mutt is from 2 different pure bred dogs it is just like it is a purebred. I have noticed "Lela" walking side ways. Always tripping over herself, and can't climb stairs. I know she is only a puppy, but it seems odd. I read more about hip dysplasia, and it says puppies with symptoms tend to not enjoy getting up, and instead lie down like a frog with both hind legs sticking out. Lela sits like this. I have an overall vet check on the 19th of October, and I am going to ask then, but I wanted to get your guys' opinion. Second point is bath time! I am going to give Lela her first bath, and I really want her to enjoy it, and because I want her to like water so she can swim at dog beaches, and pools, etc. How can I make it enjoyable? I am doing it in my sink because she is very small and it is very large, so should I clog the sink to make it raise just an inch or two. I only have one toy for her so far and it is plush, I am fine with it getting wet but she sleeps with it in her crate and I would need to dry it tonight. Just any helpful tips and advice will do. Third point is puppy socialization. She only has had her deworming shots, and first set of parvo so far. I have found a high rated training class near by that has socialization classes. Is it safe for her? I don't want her being afraid of other people and dogs. Also, if you have the time could you check the training class I found and judge it by the website? It looks good to me, but I am not sure, I would do obedience, agility, and the socialization with them. It is called WAGS & WIGGLES in CA. Thanks! Sorry for he long post Sorry... One more thing. She wakes me up at 4 AM whining, and only falls asleep of you stay near her crate petting her. I found out heartbeats remind them of their mother, and i found a video that plays 12 hours of heartbeat sounds for this purpose.
What do you think? Sorry again for the long post. I am on my nexus and it is harder to type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 11:11 PM
Crowned Member

We used to wrap a tick tock clock in a towel and put it in with a young puppy when I was a kid. It might be helpful. Your pup is a baby and she misses her mom and littermates. It should go away in a few days.

If you stare at her long and hard enough you will find flaws, because there is not living creature on this earth that is perfect. Try not to over think everything. Yes HD is a problem in our breed. I will take your word for it on Aussies. It isn't a death sentence even if your pup does have it. I would not worry about it. I would educate myself on what age a puppy should be able to do things like agility, and if agility or schutzhund were something I was planning to do with the puppy, I would get the pup x-rayed at the appropriate time -- before beginning those areas that can be hard on the hips, and after the pup is well-enough developed that I can feel confident that the results will be what they will be, whether pre-lim or actuall OFA.

Short answer, don't worry about it yet. The puppy is young and they call that frog sit a puppy-sit for a reason. The only way to tell is x-rays, and if you x-ray too early, you might have to do it again.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Crowned Member

My lab use to lay with her back legs splayed out behind her and took some time for her to master stairs, but she didn't have hip displasia. She passed at 14.5 years old of hermangiosarcoma. She could still jump up and chase the neighbors cats out of our yard, even in her last few days, only X-rays can determine wether or not a dog has HD. Don't worry about "what could be" so much and just have fun playing and training with your pup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page