First Puppy Class - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

First Puppy Class

This morning was a very tiring day for my 14 week old. First around 9am she got stung in the mouth by a bee which started to swell just a little. After doing some research in a panic I found 1 sting shouldn't be too bad. I watched her close and decided around 1pm we would still go to her first day of puppy training at a local club.

First thing we did was take our dogs around the yard they would be in to smell everything. Then we took them into a smaller yard and took them off their leashes and let them play with one another. Every 5 minutes or so we would call them to us, give them a treat and make them stay by us for 5 minutes or so. After about 45 minutes of this we walked them around a little course with a bridge, a sea saw and some other items. And that was it.

My question: I honestly felt bad, there is all types of dogs in the class and my dog was fine watching them and running around but wasn't too into playing or getting played with. They had a golden retriever that is bigger than her that was just bullying her and all the other dogs there. Would chew on her, would jump on her..was super hyper active. When my dog would cry the trainer would have the lady hold her dog and then wouldn't let me comfort mine because she didnt want my dog to learn that if she cries i come running. Is this normal? Should I let my dog get bullied?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 09:56 AM

No, you should not let your puppy get bullied. It is your job to protect your puppy, she needs to know she can depend on you in order to build a healthy relationship.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Crowned Member

There is no interaction between dogs in my puppy class. It's strictly training and learning to listen to commands with a room full of other dogs (distractions). There is no play time.

I'd recommend you find a better class. One that actually focuses on training and not play time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
First thing we did was take our dogs around the yard they would be in to smell everything. Then we took them into a smaller yard and took them off their leashes and let them play with one another. Every 5 minutes or so we would call them to us, give them a treat and make them stay by us for 5 minutes or so. After about 45 minutes of this we walked them around a little course with a bridge, a sea saw and some other items. And that was it.
That sounds like a lot of stimulation for some pretty young dogs. On first reading this, I was thinking I wouldn't have liked so much off leash activity for a first class.

I completely disagree with the trainer who thinks dogs of any age, but particularly during the formative ages, should be allowed to be bullied.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Knighted Member

Although my puppy class had some play. It was only for the last 10 mins of class and only 5 puppies in the class. The class was an hour long. Older dogs were not allowed in the puppy class.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 06:31 PM

First puppy class I went to the instructor regularly let the pups off leash and to free roam, my girl got swamped and really didn't like it with 10+ puppies up in her face, she'll come out of her shell by the end of the course the instructor kept saying but it didn't feel right to me. Ohh and she wanted me to dominate my 10 week old pup which sent alarm bells ringing for me, and then when she wanted everyone to handle everyone's pup and my girl wouldn't go to a lady and the lady grabbed her front legs and started to drag her towards her and I had to say something, I thought I'm out because ever since I was kid my grandfather told me never pull a dog by its front legs its not good for them.

We went to another puppy school with only 5 people after I spoke to one of their instructors and found out how their classes work, it was much better for her the pups didn't play with each other and everyone stuck to their mats with the odd sniffing of the neighbours but it was all very controlled not regular 5min free for alls and the class were also told that my girl might be a little afraid due to what happened at the other school, so the class knew and actually tried to help her overcome uneasiness, I still think she's affected by it a little because she's fine with larger/adult dogs, but pups and small dogs shes cautious of.

And if there were any issues like the dog that was guarding his pig ear then trying to take his neighbours ear, the instructor stepped in and moved the troublesome pup and actually spent time discussing the issue and ways to help the pup learn, so we all learnt even if we weren't having the problem.

So I guess my advice is to speak to the instructors find out how they do their courses before spending the cash, wish I had done it first oh well lesson learnt lol

Last edited by bellske; 09-22-2013 at 06:35 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Elite Member

The training class I go to is for all ages of dogs. They are all on leashes and at the end they can socialize a bit, but on leash. Also, it's a non treat based training.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Riley - 11/05/2012-8/30/2013 (Myasthenia Gravis)
He will always be in my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page