Short attention span? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jlhorowitz36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 204
Short attention span?

Anyone else have a 16 wk old puppy with a short attention span for play? Such as fetch? If I can entice her to fetch her ball or toy she typically will only chase and bring it back 2 or 3 times and seems to be enjoying it but then is just over it. I don't know if its just an age thing or she just doesn't like to play much like that? Thanks!


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jlhorowitz36 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Elite Member
 
Springbrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,582
Yup my 6 mo. old is that way, always has been. She will play fetch in the house forever. Out side it is 3-4 throws and it's over. But her flirt pole is another story. She won't stop playing that until she drops. Your pup is young and it just might be getting physically tired if you are throwing the ball far. Or, like in my case, she just isn't satisfied with the reward of fetch. If she is very prey driven a flirt pole may be more satisfying to her. Just my thoughts.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Springbrz is online now  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jlhorowitz36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
Yup my 6 mo. old is that way, always has been. She will play fetch in the house forever. Out side it is 3-4 throws and it's over. But her flirt pole is another story. She won't stop playing that until she drops. Your pup is young and it just might be getting physically tired if you are throwing the ball far. Or, like in my case, she just isn't satisfied with the reward of fetch. If she is very prey driven a flirt pole may be more satisfying to her. Just my thoughts.
My Mila is the same way. Much more interested in fetching indoors. She doesn't seem super tired but definitely possible. She typically gets bored and moves on to pouncing crickets and chewing bark off of my tree trunks. I did make her a flirt pole last weekend and she really does seem to like that but she will get bored or tired and just lie in wait for it to come close to her before going for it. I was wondering if maybe it was just a developmental thing and she would be more interested in playing with me later. silly girl.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jlhorowitz36 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Senior Member
 
mbussinger166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Warren, Ohio
Posts: 200
Very normal for a puppy. I would also suggest making a flirt pole.
mbussinger166 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jlhorowitz36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbussinger166 View Post
Very normal for a puppy. I would also suggest making a flirt pole.
Yes I actually already made a flirt pole. She does seem to like it pretty well. Thanks!


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jlhorowitz36 is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
 
GoSailGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 300
Haha yep mine was like that. If there's puddles nearby or its windy out I still have attention span issues.
GoSailGo is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Elite Member
 
Springbrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhorowitz36 View Post
My Mila is the same way. Much more interested in fetching indoors. She doesn't seem super tired but definitely possible. She typically gets bored and moves on to pouncing crickets and chewing bark off of my tree trunks. I did make her a flirt pole last weekend and she really does seem to like that but she will get bored or tired and just lie in wait for it to come close to her before going for it. I was wondering if maybe it was just a developmental thing and she would be more interested in playing with me later. silly girl.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
She's young, give her time. Right now she is no different then a human baby...she's exploring her world. She may also be a low drive pup. My advise, just enjoy her. A few weeks from now you may be "wishing" she didn't want to play....lol!

Ziva 03.07.2013
Springbrz is online now  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jlhorowitz36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 204
True. Thanks all for the responses. She seems actually to have more drive for the rope than the toy on the end of it. I found that out today when she managed to yank it off and continued to chase the rope with more vigor.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jlhorowitz36 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Chantald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Québec
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSailGo View Post
Haha yep mine was like that. If there's puddles nearby or its windy out I still have attention span issues.
This sounds just like my guy! Puddles, every time we walk by a puddle!


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Chantald is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jenkintown,Pa.
Posts: 15,199
how are you teaching her to fetch?
doggiedad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome