Adult GSD (8 years), 10 week old golden retriever pup, how to make them get along? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Adult GSD (8 years), 10 week old golden retriever pup, how to make them get along?

I bought a golden retriever pup about a month ago. I've kept him inside for obvious reasons. GSD knew straight away on the first day as he smelled the puppy on me.

My family aren't really dog people although after 8 years with the GSD I can say they are ok now. Another thing I should mention is that I was a kid about 8 years ago so I didn't know what I was doing and the GSD unfortunately, had some behaviour issues up until a few years ago - I guess he just grew older. He's never been aggressive towards anyone and if anything has been a bit of wimp in front of more aggressive dogs around the neighbourhood and would hide behind me.

About a week or two after we got the puppy, the GSD was acting weird, and he attacked a neighbour. Knowing what was up, I took the puppy out while the GSD was in his cage the next day. We've got a rather large cage where we let him sleep during the morning and take him out during the afternoon and let him be out till next morning. The GSD licked the puppy a bit but I saw in his eyes sadness. I think some of you are going to say that this was a bad idea because the GSD should have been out as well, I know, I made a mistake.

Anyway about a few hours ago (night time) I decided to take the puppy out while the GSD was also out. I brought the puppy out and kept him on the floor (the little guy started running all over, oblivious to everything else), while this was going on I was petting the GSD but he didn't even notice because he had his sights set on the puppy and would follow the puppy around. Not even a minute of this and when the puppy next came close to my GSD, the GSD growled and was just about to bite, but luckily I managed to stop that and took the puppy away.
After this I took the GSD outside our garden and onto the road and let him walk around. I was angry at what happened, but I guess I can't blame the GSD for being a dog.

I also read, way before this incident, that a good way to introduce a puppy to an adult dog was to take them both outside their territory, like onto the road on the first meeting. I guess I should have done that, but I completely forgot and didn't really have much help around to actually do something like that.

I'm obviously not going to do this again, I don't think the GSD would hesitate to kill the pup even with me around after what just happened.
What should I do? My main concern is that I can't keep the puppy indoors forever and after at most 9 months or so I will have to put him out. Would keeping the two dogs separated for that long make things worse? Would they start fighting later on too even after the puppy is a little old enough to fend for himself? Now I'm kind of regretting the fact that I thought a GSD might get along with a much more passive golden retriever.

Last edited by platodjmarley; 08-29-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 PM

obviously none of us can say for sure if the gsd will accept or not the golden.

I will say, keeping them separated and trying to introduce them when the golden is older, will make it harder for sure.

Can you take them both for a walk ON LEASH, and see how it goes? Try doing that for awhile, but be able to control especially the gsd by having him on leash.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 AM

Your dog lives outside? And soon your new puppy will live outside? That's the problem right there with your shepherd. No socialization. Sorry your dogs should live in the house with you and your family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page