Puppy Joint Development (managing stairs at the house) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Puppy Joint Development (managing stairs at the house)

hi guys!

we have not long recently got our little menace, and i am well aware of the history of GSD;s joints etc, and the breeder we bought from gave us a very good pack filled with information and history. my question i guess is, we stay out in the country, and we have 3 sets of steps round the property stepping down off our veranda, and also throughout the house we have wooden floors. we are doing everything we can to ensure that he does not jump down off the steps, we help him down and also try and make sure due to having wooden floors that he isnt slipping around all over the place when he is playing, but as we are seeing as he is getting older (nearly 10 weeks now) that its becoming harder to keep an eye on him all the time, and puppies will be puppies - i just want to know that if on the odd occasion he slips our eye line and wants to jump down the stairs himself and carry on playing how much potential damage might it cause in future? would he have to be jumping down on a constant basis to cause serious damage in the future?

any advice would be great

thanks in advance, graham

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 08-26-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 11:20 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Just that fact you are aware and paying attention to minimize the impact should make a difference. Generally our pups are pretty tough.

If you are particularly concerned about any steps/stairs you may want to do the same as with small children. Get those baby gates up so you know the only time they will be taken is when you are there to monitor and make sure they are taken safely.

Good luck!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Just that fact you are aware and paying attention to minimize the impact should make a difference. Generally our pups are pretty tough.

If you are particularly concerned about any steps/stairs you may want to do the same as with small children. Get those baby gates up so you know the only time they will be taken is when you are there to monitor and make sure they are taken safely.

Good luck!

Common sense is your best friend Dogs will be dogs regardless, just take small precautions like the one listed and your dog should hopefully live a long happy healthy uneventful life

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post

Common sense is your best friend Dogs will be dogs regardless, just take small precautions like the one listed and your dog should hopefully live a long happy healthy uneventful life
thanks guys, like stated common sense and we are trying to keep up with him and assist him up and down, most of the time right now when he is small we are picking him up but i just wanted to know really for peace of mind. thanks for the replies!

graham
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 06:07 AM
Banned

it only takes one jump to potentially cause damage. crate
the pup when you can't watch him. area rugs with the mat
underneath will help with the slipping. when my dog was step
training i use to stand behind him when he was going up the steps.
when he was going down the steps i stood in front of him (facing him).

Last edited by doggiedad; 08-27-2013 at 06:10 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
it only takes one jump to potentially cause damage. crate
the pup when you can't watch him. area rugs with the mat
underneath will help with the slipping. when my dog was step
training i use to stand behind him when he was going up the steps.
when he was going down the steps i stood in front of him (facing him).
yeah we have been doing that also, think i will go out and buy a few gates to put over our stairs area as well just to be extra cautious! thanks for the reply!

graham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page