Too skinny?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Too skinny??

I'm constantly getting told my GSD is too skinny. It's frustrating, as the Vet is fine with his weight, as well as feeding. He doesn't have any medical issues. However, I'm continually running into people that constantly think he is too skinny. At 7.5 months he weighed 50 pounds. He is 25 inch from top shoulder blade to paw. Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem. I've attached pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	6685
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	103433  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Crowned Member

Can't really tell from that picture, but if your vet thinks he's fine, then I would ignore the sideline critics without any medical training.

You could post pictures parallel to his side and from the top to get some more opinions if you want.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

This was taken a month ago.. Trying to find another pic! Haha. It's more annoying then anything.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	6968
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	103465  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

This is a side view. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	6604
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	103489  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Crowned Member

He does look a little underweight but nothing serious, it's best to keep them a little skinny as they're growing to keep from putting too much strain on their joints.

What are you feeding him and how much?

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

He is on BB large breed puppy. 4 cups. However, it seems to be giving him loose stools. The vet wanted him on a higher calorie food. He is really high energy. I did have him on TOTW before, which he seemed to tolerate better. That was 3 cups. I want him on a grain free food, as I think he digests it better, but concerned that he will get too skinny.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Crowned Member

I was feeding Delgado twice a day and he couldn't eat more then two cups in a meal without him getting diarrhea. He went through a growth spurt where he was eating 4.5 cups of Fromm LBP (two cups twice a day plus a snack of half a cup in a treat ball at night) not including treats and was still gangly. He started filling out around a year and is still bulking up now in a good way.

Try spreading the food over more meals and see if the diarrhea stops, if it continues I would look at switching foods as that might be the issue. It's best for them to gain weight slowly so I wouldn't worry about him gaining 5 lbs this week or anything, a slow steady gain in much better.

Shanna

My Pack:

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:35 PM

I'm feeding Athena 5 1/2 of Fromm LBP a day in three feedings. 2/2/1.5 She is 8 Months old but she weighs a little more she is 63lbs. She doesn't have loose stools at all or any extra weight. I guess each dog eats a different amount though.

Athena -GSD- born 12/13/12
Luna -Shepherd Mix- born 3/20/99
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I think a food switch might happen at some point. The Vet told me its best to have them gain slowly too. It's hard when I have people asking me if he eats though! He is my first as an adult( I had one growing up). He is my second baby! Just want the best!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raemandrea View Post
Thanks! I think a food switch might happen at some point. The Vet told me its best to have them gain slowly too. It's hard when I have people asking me if he eats though! He is my first as an adult( I had one growing up). He is my second baby! Just want the best!
Oh don't worry, I had a lady grab Delgado and forcefully pet him. She kept running her hands down his side and crooning to him how "your mean mommy was obviously not feeding you enough" and "you should come to my house and I'll feed you lots of treats and fatten you up." I just smiled and walked away

Nowadays people are so used to seeing obese pets that seeing a lean one is shocking to them.

Shanna

My Pack:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page