Clumsy Walk - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Clumsy Walk

Is the funny walk and clumsiness just part of being a German Shepherd pup? I just bought a 15 week old pup from a breeder that walks clumsy and has a very low profile to his rear. He isn't in pain and gets around fine, just clumsy. She had two other dogs from that same litter that she is keeping for herself that walked exactly the same. It's almost funny like. He has a good background according to the AKC pedigree and she gave me a written guarantee. She was also a recommend breeder by a few other breeders. Also he has very big feet and is all out of proportion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Crowned Member

Puppies are very clumsy and can look very awkward when walking.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 12:38 AM

I wondered that with my male pup as well. His rear end looked askew and when he walked his back legs were wobbly. Got him checked at the vet and his hips seemed fine, that was when he was about 3 months old. He's now 7 months and his legs have come right now. He also has massive paws and is going to be a rather big boy when fully grown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 12:43 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Some pups are definitely very loose and clumsy as puppies. You can always post a video of your pup walking and running for us to look at.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I think he is just in an Awkward stage. He has huge legs, huge paws, a long body and huge ears. He looks like a kangaroo right now. Like I said his siblings looked and walked just as funny. We are just nervous. I spent a lot for him and so far he is a really good dog. I did some research and calling around to other breeders and this breeders was recommended by others. She also seemed very sincere about shepherds when talking with her. He is also a "show" type breed. So he has that really low rear end that I notice some shepherds don't have. Might also have something to do with his walk.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztekdesign View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think he is just in an Awkward stage. He has huge legs, huge paws, a long body and huge ears. He looks like a kangaroo right now. .

My mum claimed that all puppies went through a stage she called 'the uglies'. Slash puppy walked around for months looking like a coyote.

Jelpy

My furs are not in storage, nor draped across the bed. They're peering out the kennel door just waiting to be fed.
(Anonymous)
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

I'll try and get a video of him in the next day or two. Then the experts can give me a their feedback.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Here is a video of him. Not the best video but some video. He seems to do better outside then inside on the hard floor. I have noticed some improvement in his walk and energy now that he has settled in to our home.

Winston - YouTube
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:44 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

American show lines? Pretty typical of puppies from those lines to be all loosey-goosy like that. I think that is just normal puppy ackwardness and will grow out of it.
Though you can find clumsy, ackward puppies in all the lines

Hard to see from the video, but maybe his pasterns are down? Can you post a picture of him from the side, standing? I'd be more concerned with him having down pasterns than his rear legs, from what I saw, though being down in the pasterns is fixable and he may outgrow it - so no need to panic!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Yes, He was bred to be a show dog. Right now his legs and paws are huge compared to the rest of his body. They are as big as the legs and feet on my 12 year old Golden Retriever. He is going into the Vet on Thursday for a checkup and I will have them look at his walk also. I"m just hoping it's an awkward stage and he grows out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page