German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Development & Socialization (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/)
-   -   Clumsy Walk (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/309706-clumsy-walk.html)

ztekdesign 07-27-2013 10:52 AM

Clumsy Walk

Is the funny walk and clumsiness just part of being a German Shepherd pup? I just bought a 15 week old pup from a breeder that walks clumsy and has a very low profile to his rear. He isn't in pain and gets around fine, just clumsy. She had two other dogs from that same litter that she is keeping for herself that walked exactly the same. It's almost funny like. He has a good background according to the AKC pedigree and she gave me a written guarantee. She was also a recommend breeder by a few other breeders. Also he has very big feet and is all out of proportion.

Lucy Dog 07-27-2013 10:56 AM

Puppies are very clumsy and can look very awkward when walking.

Jess 07-28-2013 12:38 AM

I wondered that with my male pup as well. His rear end looked askew and when he walked his back legs were wobbly. Got him checked at the vet and his hips seemed fine, that was when he was about 3 months old. He's now 7 months and his legs have come right now. He also has massive paws and is going to be a rather big boy when fully grown.

Castlemaid 07-28-2013 12:43 PM

Some pups are definitely very loose and clumsy as puppies. You can always post a video of your pup walking and running for us to look at.

ztekdesign 07-29-2013 07:30 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think he is just in an Awkward stage. He has huge legs, huge paws, a long body and huge ears. He looks like a kangaroo right now. :) Like I said his siblings looked and walked just as funny. We are just nervous. I spent a lot for him and so far he is a really good dog. I did some research and calling around to other breeders and this breeders was recommended by others. She also seemed very sincere about shepherds when talking with her. He is also a "show" type breed. So he has that really low rear end that I notice some shepherds don't have. Might also have something to do with his walk.

Jelpy 07-29-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ztekdesign (Post 3937058)
Thanks for the replies. I think he is just in an Awkward stage. He has huge legs, huge paws, a long body and huge ears. He looks like a kangaroo right now. :).

My mum claimed that all puppies went through a stage she called 'the uglies'. Slash puppy walked around for months looking like a coyote.

Jelpy

ztekdesign 07-29-2013 09:26 AM

I'll try and get a video of him in the next day or two. Then the experts can give me a their feedback.

ztekdesign 07-30-2013 07:20 AM

Here is a video of him. Not the best video but some video. He seems to do better outside then inside on the hard floor. I have noticed some improvement in his walk and energy now that he has settled in to our home.

Winston - YouTube

Castlemaid 07-30-2013 11:44 AM

American show lines? Pretty typical of puppies from those lines to be all loosey-goosy like that. I think that is just normal puppy ackwardness and will grow out of it.
Though you can find clumsy, ackward puppies in all the lines

Hard to see from the video, but maybe his pasterns are down? Can you post a picture of him from the side, standing? I'd be more concerned with him having down pasterns than his rear legs, from what I saw, though being down in the pasterns is fixable and he may outgrow it - so no need to panic!

ztekdesign 07-30-2013 11:52 AM

Yes, He was bred to be a show dog. Right now his legs and paws are huge compared to the rest of his body. They are as big as the legs and feet on my 12 year old Golden Retriever. He is going into the Vet on Thursday for a checkup and I will have them look at his walk also. I"m just hoping it's an awkward stage and he grows out of it.