Clumsy Walk - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Hard to see from the video, but maybe his pasterns are down? Can you post a picture of him from the side, standing? I'd be more concerned with him having down pasterns than his rear legs, from what I saw, though being down in the pasterns is fixable and he may outgrow it - so no need to panic!
That's what I was thinking too. He looks like he's walking on his hocks.

Could you post a better video of him closer up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

I'll try and get better video for you to look at. Puppies don't cooperate very much. Every time I get close to him he wants to start bouncing around or he lays down.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Here is a better video of him walking close by.
2013 07 30 15 53 35 361 - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:50 PM

Yep, pasterns and hocks are down. Keep in touch with your breeder to see what they recommend you do (or don't do) to get those to pop back up. Apparently not uncommon in American showlines. I saw a puppy last month who was really down in her pasterns, and they just came up overnight.

Pretty puppy, btw! Love his name.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a little nervous now.
He is such a good pup. I'm hoping he snaps out of it. We haven't had him even a full week yet but it Seems to have gotten better. Until later in the day when he gets tired. I'll talk with the vet tomorrow at his appointment and after that consult with the breeder. Although I asked her about it once already and she told me it was a stage he would grow out of. Her other pups walked the same way.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

I've just started reading about foods, exercise and supplements. Has anyone out there had any experience trying to improve a dog with this condition? Right now he is on Nutrena Loyall Puppy Food 31/20. 2 cups in the morning and 2 at night. (although he doesn't always eat it all) He was raised in more of a kennel type atmosphere and now he is free to run in a huge grassy / hilly yard with the kids. I'm hoping the extra exercise will help.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 08:12 AM

Some evidence that a lower protein food helps with the down pasterns. And the running on the grass is good. Don't get panicky.

Sent from Petguide.com App

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 08:15 AM
Crowned Member

I was picturing far worse than the video showed .

not so impressed with the food "
Ingredients

Chicken by-product meal, brewers rice, ground whole wheat, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), corn gluten meal, ground whole corn, dried plain beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, menhaden fish meal, whole flaxseed, vegetable oil, dried egg product, extracted hydrolyzed citric acid fermentation presscake dehydrated, bentonite, potassium chloride, salt, propionic acid (preservative), vitamins: (vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity)), minerals: (zinc amino acid complex, ferrous sulfate, iron amino acid complex, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, manganese amino acid complex, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide), brewers dried yeast, yucca schidigera extract, mixed tocopherols (preservative), citric acid (preservative), rosemary extract"

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

What does everyone else feed their GSD? The loyall Puppy food he is getting now is 31% protein 20% fat. That is what the breeder sent him home with.

What % of Protein and Fat would be better for a dog with Pastern and Hock issues?
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

My Golden Retriever is on Diamond Chicken and Rice. He has done well with that. Has anyone used the Diamond Large Puppy Lamb and Rice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page