undescended testicles - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

undescended testicles

Hi, my first post here. My male was 8 weeks old last Sunday. His testicles have not dropped, normal, or not normal ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Crowned Member

Not normal. There are some that haven't dropped by 8 weeks but do within a few more weeks. Most won't drop if they aren't dropped yet. Did your breeder notice this and give you a discount?

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Crowned Member

WD had only one down at 11 weeks and he is OK now, took a while though. Ask your vet. If you can feel them a little ways up, they might still come down later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Crowned Member

One of my guy's had not dropped by 12 weeks; by the time he was 6 months they both had descended.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Banned

Not normal but not yet a problem. Majority of males have their down by 8 weeks. Most breeders will give discounts at this point (dog shouldn't be bred, can't be shown, more expensive neutering). It's nothing to worry about yet as like you have noticed they do come down at other times.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 PM

My pup is 8 week's old and one has descended and one hasn't yet. The vet said it shouldn't be a problem and will join the other in time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Olivera "Ollie" von Feiertage
DOB: 09/05/2012
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Crowned Member

It's not abnormal yet. There is a ring, and until the ring closes the testicles can go up and down. I wouldn't worry overmuch about it.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerynAerie View Post
My pup is 8 week's old and one has descended and one hasn't yet. The vet said it shouldn't be a problem and will join the other in time.
I would definitely worry. They should be down by now and every day that one doesn't show up decreases his chances of it ever coming down. There is still a chance it will come down, so there is still hope.

Elaine and the herd
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Knighted Member

I'm not sure at what age testicles should drop by but I know in my husky Smokey even at around 6-8 months one of his hadn't dropped. My vet said the chances of testicular cancer are higher with an undescended testicle and to have invasive surgery done ASAP and to (of course) not breed him. We obliged even though it was very expensive. It has since left a pretty bad scar at the bottom of his tummy. But the satisfaction of knowing that his chances of cancer are lower after removing the testicle is worth it all...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

From a friend, long time owner & breeder of GSD. Pretty much what my breeder told me too

>>Not to panic! Normally they won't drop til the dog is 3-4 months old, but I've seen some as old as 6 mos, before they do. Your boy has a way to go yet! 😃
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in