Puppy Hips - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Puppy Hips

Hi I have a 4.5 Month old puppy and I'm very concerned about his gait. I took him to the vet when he was 2-3 Months and the veterinarian palpated his hips and said he was fine. But he is still limping when he runs. And I wanted to know if his gait is normal for a German Shepherd puppy his age. Thanks

Major German Shepherd Puppy - YouTube Major at 3 Months
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Crowned Member

I don't really see it, he looks OK to me maybe a bit on the heavy side. It could be pano, a minor injury, etc. If you are concerned about HD specifically, you would need x-rays to rule it in or out, it cannot be diagnosed or ruled out based on external examination.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Elite Member

I have a pit bull with severe hip dysplasia. I would be major in for x rays. He bunny hops a lot. Which is when he uses his back two legs together instead of one at a time. My Capone did the same and still does. I'm no expert though, hopefully others can chime in here.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Master Member

I don't see a problem either, but it might be easier to spot if the camera was level with the pup and shot from the side, while you threw the ball for him, or gaited him on a leash past the camera.

I also think he is too heavy, which can cause joint problems, I would think it could also be painful to run on soft joints with the extra weight.

I would also be interested to see if the vet thought it could be pano.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Crowned Member

Looks a little wobbly to me, but just might be a goofy puppy. It's common to be awkward at that age. If he's not showing pain... I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Like everyone else mentioned, he's too heavy. What and how much are you feeding?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Looks a little wobbly to me, but just might be a goofy puppy. It's common to be awkward at that age. If he's not showing pain... I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Like everyone else mentioned, he's too heavy. What and how much are you feeding?
Since Ive gotten him he's been on Taste of the Wild and I fed him about 4-6 cups a day. But I'm trying to find something thats a little more affordable.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 02:42 AM

Looks completely normal to me.. our Fergus is on the heavier side for a normal pup his age... but his parents where big, especially his dad, who was 130 lbs.. and both of Czech working lines. He is COMPLETELY healthy too.
Fergus runs and moves around like a klutz, he's LONG right now.. and when he tries to corner/turn fast, (like our Molly) it takes him longer, kind of like a ladder fire truck lol.. he has been growing so fast!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Molly - GSD/Belgian Malinois - 10/21/2006

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fergus - GSD (Czech Police Working Line) 5/13/2012
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:05 AM
Banned

i didn't notice anything with his running. i think letting him play in the street is a very bad idea.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:38 AM
Master Member

I had similar concerns about our Jake when he was around 5 months old because his hind end looked weird when he walked. I took him to our vet and she did a complete orthopedic examination and advised that everything was fine. Puppy's go through phases when they are growing and in Jake's case it stopped after a few days. He's had a few more days of funny walking since, but I just keep an eye on him and if it stops after a few days I don't worry too much.

I asked about xraying his hips and our vet advised to wait until after he is 18 months old. You can't tell much if you xray before that age. At 9 months old now, Jake seems to be doing well.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:52 AM
Crowned Member

Hips are certified in Europe at 12 months....so you can tell a lot from 6 months on. If the pup has palpated well, then I wouldn't worry about the pup until the pup is about 18 months unless you see something crippling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page