"Sleeper" ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

"Sleeper" ?

Rainer was a very low energy puppy when he was younger. Very mellow and happy to be a couch potato. Getting him to play was a challenge because he just wasn't into it. For example, we could go on a long (3-4 mile) walk or spend a couple of hours at the beach and he'd be done for the day. Lately, though, he seems to be growing out of that. He'll stay lay down and relax at home if that's what I want him to do, but the second I get up he runs off thinking we are going to play. He's turning 11 months old this weekend and seems to be developing a lot slower than other puppies I read about on the forum.

Just wondering for anyone that has had a "sleeper" pup before...how were they in terms of development? Did they progressively start to have more energy/drive as they matured? Or did they just one day wake up and go "crazy" (in a manner of speaking, Lol!)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rainer, CGC 11/21/11

Kitty Cat Monsters
Ashes- AKA "Queen Bia"
Mish Mish - Mr. Cuddle Bug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 03:01 PM

Mine is kind of like that (different breed, though, standard poodle). He used to get worn out with a 30min puppy class, or I could tire him out with a couple of quick OB sessions, or a bath would do it, too.

Now, while he will still settle in the house, he goes to an hour and a half obedience session with plenty of running in the form of long distance recalls and free play, followed by a full bath and blow dry, which takes about 2hrs, and is raring to go and play fetch or 'chase me' for another 2-3 hours until I've had it and go to bed.

FWIW, given the breed difference, my dog is now 1yr old, and is very slow developing, mentally, in regards to focus and seriousness. The increase in hormones at this age is not helping, I'm sure, though he has decent impulse control - thank you, Crate Games! I'm told that it would not be surprising if he doesn't start to behave like an adult for another year, maybe two.

Mine became a bottomless source of energy at about 7-8mos. He didn't go crazy, just all of the sudden I noticed he never seemed to tire. Then he started pacing in the house and decided it was his job to bark at every outside movement.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Rainer's focus is pretty good for his age - I've been working on his "look" since he was 10weeks old as well as a lot of impulse control games.

He still tires, but recovers quickly - 10 mins and he's back up ready to play!

It's been interesting trying to adjust to him being more active. He was never an active or playful puppy, and now all of a sudden his energy levels are so much higher.

I always thought that puppies start settling down as they "grow up" so I didn't expect him to become more active.

(I'm also partly wondering because we do some protection training with a small group of people on Saturdays and he does not seem too into it. They say it is because he is young, but there are dogs out there younger than him that are progressing while he just kind of coasts. I am trying to find a formal club to join that has more experience with drive to see what their thoughts are about him. I don't want to force him to do something he doesn't enjoy)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rainer, CGC 11/21/11

Kitty Cat Monsters
Ashes- AKA "Queen Bia"
Mish Mish - Mr. Cuddle Bug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Knighted Member

I think that dogs all mature differently and sometimes some dogs are higher drive than others. Not knowing your dog, it sounds like he is just a little bit more mellow, but will happily comply with you when you take him out for adventures.
I can't answer your question about his protection training, but I'm sure he will let you know if he wants to continue on with it, as you said he is young.
Be thankful he settles nicely in the house...some of us have crack puppies no matter what

Bear GSD 10/16/11
Elsa GSD 12/23/03 - 11/10/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page