Good age for walks / runs / hikes? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Good age for walks / runs / hikes?

When is an appropiate age to start walking? I walk him now from my house to the corner - which is 3 houses - about 400 ft away, turn around and go back and forth about 3x.
The breeder said not to go crazy walking - or running for at least 6mo BUT I want to get him socialized by seeing people, dogs, wildlife etc etc etc

Now I do run him in the backyard by throwing his toys and he'll hop over to them - its cute to see him run - with his floppy ears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 03:59 PM

I started walking Seven about 3 weeks (so about 16 weeks) after her last shots. We started with a half mile a night and within the past couple of weeks we've started doing a mile a night.

Depending on energy levels (hers and mine) and the weather, I'll also take her over to the bayou and let her play and run around on a retractable.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Mommy to Seven, a shelter pup adopted at 7 weeks. DOB 04/13/2012.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 04:10 PM

We walked ours after his second round of shots and would just go at his pace. I wouldn't let him near another dogs poop or roaming around all that much just in case. Just do what the dog can do. He'll be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Crowned Member

For socializing you can take him in the car to various places and do short walks there. I think most of us are too eager to start them on long walks. I was the same way but I learned this from WD's breeder and it makes sense. Lots of play at home though and training interwoven with it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

Get your puppy out and about now. There's no sense in waiting and early socialization is so important.

You can walk/run your pup as much as you want so long as you don't push him. Watch for signs of being tired, hot, or breathing hard, and then slow down. You can pick up the pace again once he appears rested.

Every dog is different so it all depends on your pup how far is enough. Some are happy with a walk around the block and others, like mine, can't get enough.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page