Halloween: great opportunity or too much too soon? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Halloween: great opportunity or too much too soon?

Hey folks,

If the schedule holds true our pup will be arriving a few days before Halloween. Just wondering if you would take advantage of that situation (kids, adults, doorbell, costumes etc.) to work on her socialization, or would it be overload after only 2-3 days in the new home?

I should mention we do not get a lot of action... maybe 20 - 25 kids so it would not be too frantic.

Part of the reason I am posting this is because I just finished reading the Dog Star Daily Training Textbook and their take on socialization freaked me out a little lol.

Socialization With People | Dog Star Daily

I just can't see holding an open house everyday for a month and training the visitors as well as my dog Is it just me or is this a tad extreme?

Suggestions?

Thanks

-Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 PM

I think this would be good socialization. Your puppy may get tired and fall a sleep BC it'll be young. I'm going to have my puppy sit with me handing out candy .
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I think this would be good socialization. Your puppy may get tired and fall a sleep BC it'll be young. I'm going to have my puppy sit with me handing out candy .
That's kind of what I was thinking. There will be 2 of us so it should be OK monitoring this. Are you going to allow them to pet the puppy if they ask?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know how old your puppy will be when it comes home, but I'd have a greater fear of having my puppy socializing with strangers when not fully vaccinated yet.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 PM

Yes, I let everyone pet her. She loves that sort of stuff. My puppy is older then yours so I'll have my hands full with "get down" commands. I am going to get my puppy a costume too . lol.

I think you'll have an easier time BC your puppies younger and will be sleepy. It'll be really good for her and fun. You thinking of putting her in a costume too?

I'm not an expert on dogs . I just think Halloween is a good opportunity to socialize with kids especially if you don't have any kids like me. So I am taking advantage of it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I don't know how old your puppy will be when it comes home, but I'd have a greater fear of having my puppy socializing with strangers when not fully vaccinated yet.
She will be 8 weeks with first set of vaccinations. I thought the concern was more for avoiding popular dog locations. Is there a risk with kids too?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Yes, I let everyone pet her. She loves that sort of stuff. My puppy is older then yours so I'll have my hands full with "get down" commands. I am going to get my puppy a costume too . lol.

I think you'll have an easier time BC your puppies younger and will be sleepy. It'll be really good for her and fun. You thinking of putting her in a costume too?

I'm not an expert on dogs . I just think Halloween is a good opportunity to socialize with kids especially if you don't have any kids like me. So I am taking advantage of it.
A costume too? Very cool! Bring on the pics after the big night

No plans for any costume at the moment but we'll see. And I totally agree about the opportunity to meet some kiddies. We are in an older area so there are not many around at all.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieC View Post
She will be 8 weeks with first set of vaccinations. I thought the concern was more for avoiding popular dog locations. Is there a risk with kids too?
Parvo (just to name one thing) can be carried via shoes, clothing, little hands etc. You might want to give your vet a call and ask their opinion before you start allowing your pup to party with the neighborhood.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Crowned Member

You could just put her in a crate and let her watch from a safe distance. That would be my choice if I were going to do this. That way she is contained, you don't have to worry about her shooting out the door or kids shooting in to pet her and if it's to much for her you can quickly move her to a quiet location.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Parvo (just to name one thing) can be carried via shoes, clothing, little hands etc. You might want to give your vet a call and ask their opinion before you start allowing your pup to party with the neighborhood.
I will make that inquiry. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
You could just put her in a crate and let her watch from a safe distance. That would be my choice if I were going to do this. That way she is contained, you don't have to worry about her shooting out the door or kids shooting in to pet her and if it's to much for her you can quickly move her to a quiet location.
I appreciate the suggestion. We will certainly look at this as an option. Fortunately I will have help to keep an eye on her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page