Skye and other dogs - nervous behavior - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Skye and other dogs - nervous behavior

Okay i have a few issues i want to try and understand and figure out! It is to do with Skye and other dogs!

Skye confuses me alot when we meet other dogs... other huskies she gets nervous and usually wees herself on the spot because of it. Shadow (husky) however she is abs fine with but been with him since a puppy.

All my partners parents dogs she is fine with plays with them all respects them all. New puppy only 8 weeks old first meet she started growling ears back not a happy face atall no wagging tail literally to the point i was worried she would do something.

Dogs i've met on walks and others at a country show we went to she sounds nervous sometimes and other times want to say hello but is still nervous at the same time. The only dog she happily said hello to was a massive St bernard!!

I dont know if its the gsd side in her? Shadow was always friendly with all dogs he met and always wanted to say hello not fearful etc.

She doesnt seem aggressive (apart from with the puppy) towards other dogs just fearful etc she has however snapped a couple of times a bit like a warning snap though not actually going for the other dog.

She is just over 6 months old now and she is half husky half gsd.

Any help would be greatly appreciated expecially about the puppy situation as his parents do look after our two which has been fine up until now but is going to be a worry if she doesnt like this puppy :S

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 10-01-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I moved this to the puppy section because your pup is only 6 months old.

Actually, if she's a bit tentative and fearful, she's doing pretty well. What I would continue to work on is my leadership role in her eyes cause that takes pressure off of her during these times. If she knows (really knows) that you are going to take the lead so she can take a breath and calm, then she'll be in a better place and continue to gain confidence.

Have you purchased the DVD 'Calming Signals' by Turid Rugaas. It was a huge help for me to help 'read' my dogs as well as other strange dogs. So I'm much better able to see my dogs throwing out signals so I know to avoid something, and/or recognize trouble/signals in other dogs. These are the tiny quiet signals that we 'stupid humans' don't get a manual for but dogs are all tossing them out all the time for each other.

Amazon.com: calming signals dvd

Fearfuldogs.com <--click that

Fearful anxious nervous timid dogs. Anxiety is common in many dogs. How to understand and overcome this behaviour <-- and that

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

No problem on moving the thread sorry about that!!

Dvd looks interesting i have not seen it no but will look into getting it looks very interesting!!

Okay so leadership is key!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-smith1989 View Post
No problem on moving the thread sorry about that!!

Dvd looks interesting i have not seen it no but will look into getting it looks very interesting!!

Okay so leadership is key!

One thing with Turid's DVD and also with her book about the same subject. I found it sometimes confusing in that my dog would be doing something mentioned inher book, i.e. sniffing the ground and it often turned out that he was doing just that - sniffing, with no other meaning (nothing to send a calming signal about!).

Or sometimes when we were playing - I would reach for him and he would turn his head and show me a lot of "White eye" (indicating scared or nervous or like that) - not the case since he would next instant jump back into playing!

So what i am saying is that if you try to interpret your dogs "body language", it is a very good thing but it is also necessary to look at the whole dog AND the environment and the situation before being able to interpret what your dog is trying to tell you.

It is NOT necessarilly easy to "speak dog".

For example, I had an experienced pro trainer tell me that my then 2.5 yo male GSD "was nervous and very anxious" because he would try to sniff the floor when we left him on a long down at the end of the long leash.

All of his other signs - i.e. hackles, open mouth, tounge hanging way out of his mouth, ears calm, body posture very relaxed were indicating a totally relaxed dog who just smelled something good on the ground in front of him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page