And yet another thread on poop! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

And yet another thread on poop!

Ok, Hero is 13 weeks on Tuesday. He had Ghiardia and coxcidia(sp?). They have both been treated and is clear as of 2 days ago but are told to finish the medication and add probiotics to his food. We have transitioned him off the ID food to Blue Buffalo simple basic something or another due to the vet saying he might have some sort of irritable bowl and the large breed puppy foods could be upsetting his stomach. I trust this vet to not have any endorsement based recomendation due to her being a military vet that works on the MWD's group of GSD's(I now have a couple unfinished bags of food laying around). Hero has not had solid stool in a while, **** loose doesn't even describe it, its more like a heavy cream liquid, almost melted ice cream consistancy. (i know its gross but I don't know how else to explain it). We feed him about 4 cups a day, (2 cups twice daily) and he loves to eat, he drinks all day long (probably from all the liquid stool) but he is not dehydrated. He is pretty good andd signaling that he has to go outside and for the most part is accident free. It seems impossible to clean his stool because its basically like watered down mashed potatoes... I make sure he doesnt lick or touch any of the stool. Another odd behavior is lately he will bite on his penis and make weird noises... I have NO idea why he would be doing this and we had the vet check all that equipment out the other day. She said everything feels normal other than his solo testicle. PLEASE help/siggest anything for my poor mutant one ball landshark lap dog!!!! (updated pics of Hero are soon to come!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Seriously any idea on how to make his stool ANY more solid would be useful!! He doesn't seem to be in pain, has TONS of energy and all in all is a very happy dog... the bowel movements don't seem to be uncomfortable, they are jsut water though, and the vet said it has an unusual odor (odd I know but thats what she said) they are sending the stool to lab to further investigate the stool but we haven't heard anything back yet... so honestly any advice other than changing his food(cuz that hasn't worked yet and he LOVES the food he is on) I am HIGHLY open to!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 02:18 AM
Crowned Member

Did he have solid poo on the I/D? If so, I would be putting him back on it. If the I/D wasn't working, I would try a bland diet of burger or chicken and rice. For now that's about all you can do as it seems like your vet is working on this and you have to wait for some more test results.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Crowned Member

He probably has SIBO after the giardia, the waste product feeds bad bacteria, as well the meds. killed off good...you have to give the probiotic away from meds (killing what you are putting in)...so if meds w/food then the probiotic mid day - you can double it up or mix in some plain yogart - goats milk is better if doesn't handle well...low fat. Poop like that too is and indication of low enzyme production - mainly lipase to break down fats. Fats are hardest to digest...do a search online for. I ususally say get a pancreatin enzyme - contains protease (protien), lipase(fat), amalyse(carbs)...this will assist breaking down foods into a more digestable state so as not to putrify in the gut and feeding the bad bacteria...as well as better uptake to fuel a growing puppy...

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Crowned Member

Poor pup

GatorBytes, SIBO (small intenstinal bacterial overgrowth) also came to mind as well.

I would also want to rule out parasites....has there been a recent stool sample checked?

When the poo is that soft it can cause irritation on his backside...do a check...perhaps a gentle wipe with a baby wipe after he poops.

You may also have to change foods and agree with Elaine if the food the vet had him on produced solid poop go back to that.

Your pup needs a break...poor little guy!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Crowned Member

Back when my dog was "conventionaly treated" for the first 3yrs I had him and before switching to raw - the cow patti poops prevailed...3 yrs. I switched foods several times (costco, nutro, royal canin, nutrience, natural balance - royal canin was more successful, but did nothing for his winter itch) All these brands had been on a recall list at some point during this time too - but that's off the subject - just saying, that's some pretty bad odds

He was also tried on metrondizole, tylan, and panacur...nothing worked.
THe reason - I believe with RC was the hydrolized protiens (which is what enzymes do) that may have helped, but also the bulking agents, which treats the symptom not the cause.

I was pushed into switching kibble to LID re: "chicken allergy" (bull - not allergic in the summer)...The cow patti poops returned...I was topping up his food w/canned to get him to eat the junk (Merrick's soup for the soul - but ones that had no ingr. he had before), still didn't care for it (must have known it wasn't right for him)....so, the vet said it was fats try script diet (NOPE! wasn't going to feed my dog corn as main ingr. I had been researching and researching all along)...this revisited poop issue with the LID went on for 8 months,as I had to rule out during the "itchy faze time of year"...However in Sept/Oct...there was some slight improvements when I added a plant based enzyme by Solid Gold - still not enough though. Come Jan. 2nd...Went to see holistic vet - said give a pancreatin enzyme as plant based was not enough and switch to raw and low fat. Jan. 4th I gave a 100% Raw meal. NO intro slowly as suggested when making a kibble switch...The very next day he had a perfect brown solid segmented poop!!!! The first one in a year.

Sorry about the overblown...been there done that story.
Readers digest version - treat the cause, not the symptom

Diarrhea - symptom (bulk fillers - no)
Cause - SIBO, fats, enzyme deficiency - probiotic, enzymes...once off enzymes if symtom returns - then to lower fat diet if doesn't clear up, then look into EPI. Treatment for EPI - ENZYMES
Note: Enzymes can be used temporarily - just a few months to get everything back on track

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page