My dog is a target - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

My dog is a target

I will try to make this short. We started a beginning agility class last week. Just getting used to different equipment and trying to bond a little more. Effie went thru a tunnel (which she loves) and when she came out the other end there were a couple of dogs that had moved close (about 2 feet away). Effie's speed thru the tunnel carried her right up to the dogs and one of them bit her. Left a hole in the side of her face (nose). She told me she wanted to go home shortly after that. This week we tried to stay as far from the dog (Boxer) that her as possible. The closest we came was about 10 feet and the Boxer growled at her. We greeted a Sheltie that we knew from 2 previous puppy classes. The owner's son came over with his Sheltie. As soon as they got near us his dog snapped and barked at Effie. She had no problems with any dogs in Puppy school (4 classes) and loves to go to Doggie Playtime at the Humane Society where we take our classes. Am I doing something wrong that makes other dogs think she needs to be attacked? Effie is 14 months old.

Linda
Effie (GSD) 7-20-11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Crowned Member

Why were these dogs inside the fence where your dog was working? I think this might be an issue for the trainer to take care of.

What is her body language? Is she charging up to the dogs? Obviously she was charging coming out of the tunnel and that, IMO, was the fault of the trainer and the Boxer owner. But what was her body language when she met the Sheltie? Over exuberant? Shy and scared?

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Crowned Member

You need to stand up for your dog! I would have been all over the owner of the boxer and the trainer of the class. There is no excuse for having dogs in the ring with you when you are running and then you shouldn't have to deal with getting near the boxer ever again. It should have been either banned from the class, moved to another class, or, at the very least, the owner should make very darn sure that dog doesn't get anywhere near yours.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

There are about 12 dogs in the class all working inside the fence with the trainer and two helpers. We can work on whatever equipment we want. Tonight the equipment was set up in three lines and we would start at one end and then circle back to a different line. The end of the tunnel was clear when we started but a lot can change in just a few seconds with this many dogs. She was laying down when greeting the dog she knew. She sat up when the other dog came over and the new dog just attacked.

Linda
Effie (GSD) 7-20-11
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Master Member

I agree with Jax. How did your dog approach the other dogs? I know my girls are fine with other dogs as long as they approach politely and appropriately. Obviously the tunnel incident was because the other dog was to close but how was she with the Sheltie? Honestly, it doesn't sound like the other dogs are purposefully targeting your dog but her manners may be a little too "exuberant puppyish?" Some dogs just don't appreciate other dogs coming up to them or trying to play. May have nothing to do with your dog.

Brooke

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glinny View Post
There are about 12 dogs in the class all working inside the fence with the trainer and two helpers. We can work on whatever equipment we want. Tonight the equipment was set up in three lines and we would start at one end and then circle back to a different line. The end of the tunnel was clear when we started but a lot can change in just a few seconds with this many dogs. She was laying down when greeting the dog she knew. She sat up when the other dog came over and the new dog just attacked.
Really? I would find a different trainer. In a real life trial, no other dogs are allowed in the ring. I"ve never practiced with another dog in the ring. One dog comes in, the other goes out. I would be irate with that Boxer owner.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Crowned Member

This is unacceptable. I would not go there anymore.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Rolf, German import DOB 6-7-2019
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glinny View Post
This situation is a disaster waiting to happen. Having that many dogs in the ring at the same time is not a good thing. Your dog has already been bitten. I would think about switching to another class if they can't control it better.

Having your dog get bitten or even charged by another dog can permanently mess them up. Protect your dog!

Elaine and the herd
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post

Having your dog get bitten or even charged by another dog can permanently mess them up. Protect your dog!
Listen to this! I had a very unstable foster when Jax was the same age as your dog. 3 years later I am STILL dealing with a very fear reactive dog.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Knighted Member

Poor Effie. I'd be demanding my money back, since they can't manage the dogs properly. Don't feel bad about it either - 12 dogs dashing all over is crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page