Is this a normal walk? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Is this a normal walk?

is this something to be worried about? Kaiser walks funny. It's like he doesnt pick up his back feet. I can even hear them scrape.
Here's a video-

Last edited by Capone22; 09-17-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 09:47 PM

You should take him to the vet looks like something is wrong
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Elite Member

looks off to me, but I'm not an expert.

Balen Patchon Adopted 8-28-12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

oh great =( not what I want to hear. I already have a young dog with severe hip dysplasia. I can't go through this again.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone22 View Post
oh great =( not what I want to hear. I already have a young dog with severe hip dysplasia. I can't go through this again.
Don't jump to conclusions. Get your pup checked out first, then form your plan
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I wouldn't panic from what I just saw in your video.

What I WOULD do is call up your breeder and ask them to watch the video. To compare to the other pups in the litter as well as past litters.

Particularly if your dog is more 'showlines' I've seen them very loose in the rear while they are growing the first year. Keeping them lean and giving them alot of healthy exercise will strengthen the muscles, tendons, ligaments and get rid of alot of that floppy you may be seeing.

That said, you have to talk to your breeder and go to the vet if needed. Don't want to cause a problem to get worse if there is an issue.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Crowned Member

His hips look super loose. Sometimes that can fixed with supplements, good food and the right kind of exercise. But I would definitely have him checked out by the vet.

ETA: Just read that you got him from a boarding kennel. My dog had very undeveloped muscles in his hind end when I adopted him and now you'd never know it. So it could be because he doesn't have good muscle mass built up. I still would recommend a vet visit though!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

Last edited by BowWowMeow; 09-18-2012 at 12:00 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Knighted Member

I had a friend send me a video of his pup a few months back. His back legs seemed real loose, and had a similar look as yours.
Fast forward a few months, and all is well.

Just thought I'd give some words of encouragement.

Sent from my iPad using PG Free
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Crowned Member

I don't know how true this is but I was told by a trainer(GSD trainer) that lots of GSD's have to find their back end(because they are so long). Some do it earlier then others. Once they figure out its there and learn how to use it they start to look like they should. I had some concerns with mine(the way she walked) and this is what I was told....almost just like this Mine is actually starting to walk much better and I see lots more control now compared to a month ago. The excitement in my house is when she stands the right way You'll only know if you do xrays and if that will make you feel better then that is what you should do. I opted to wait on mine(because of sedation) and like I said I do see improvement.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Crowned Member

I don't see anything unusual here and wouldn't spend the money on a vet trip just for this. I might ask about it at the next visit, but wouldn't make a special trip. He just looks very gangly and loose in the back. He should straighten and tighten up to some degree with age.

This isn't the structure I want in a puppy, but it's not unusual in a lot of puppies and it's not related to anything serious.

For future reference, have someone trot your pup on leash side to side and toward and away from the camera for best viewing of any gait issues.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page