socialization - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

socialization

hi i am new to this site and would love any advice given, my pup is 10 weeks old and is very shy aroud new people they stroke him and he will try and burrow into me to get away should i be concernd.

p.s sorry about the spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:02 PM

Where are you attempting to socialize the pup at? On his turf or out and about on neutral territory?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

socialization

i took him to pets at home pet store a few times and to the vets for his first vacc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Try having people meeting him in an area that he is used to and comfortable in, and praise him heavily when he allows people to pet him. He may just not be used to (or not like) being the center of attention. Explain that to people so they don't go straight for him. I've heard some people will have guests ignore the dog for a bit and then feed it a treat before petting.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Knighted Member

It's normal for them to be shy to new situations. Until your pup has it's second round of shots, I'd be careful about places with a high volume of dogs like pet stores.

Go everywhere with your pup. Parks, outside of grocery stores etc. The tough thing is people (especially kids) who swoop in to pat the cute pup. Keep a close eye out and hold your hand out and tell them to stop. Allow your pup to approach them. Ask them not to move, just quietly hold their hand out and if they are willing to offer a treat, all the better.

Make sure you are in a place that isn't too overwhelmingly busy (pets stores have a lot of people and dogs coming and going and it's hard to find a quiet place for your puppy to observe things and take it in)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Crowned Member

My advice would be to take him out more carrying him, so that he can see people in parks, pet stores, etc. and learn that people aren't bad. If he'll take treats, after a week of going out daily with him (carrying him, he's not old enough to be on the ground yet) start having strangers give him a treat. Don't coddle him if he shys away, just let them pet him for a second and move on.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

its ok i dont put him on the ground and i dont let other dogs come near him thank you so much for all your advice i will try it out and hopefuly he will come out of his shell and start looking forward to people comeing to say hello

Last edited by happyblond; 10-16-2012 at 06:58 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:35 PM

Good luck! Just use a lot of patience. Puppies are really like having a child all over again!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

thank you
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:37 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblond View Post
hi i am new to this site and would love any advice given, my pup is 10 weeks old and is very shy aroud new people they stroke him and he will try and burrow into me to get away should i be concerned.
Yes. If he's shy or fearful then your socialization efforts are actually counterproductive. Socialization should be an positive experience, so make sure he feels safe. If that means that he needs to around people at a distance rather than up close and personal, then that's what you should do for now. Give him the choice to approach people or not, don't force him to be subjected to being petted if he's not ready for that.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page