Did I mess up her socialization somewhere? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Did I mess up her socialization somewhere?

Last night at the dog park someone mentioned to me that I may have problems with Gaia down the road because she doesn't like people petting her.Now this is the first time I've ever seen this person and her trying to pet Gaia would have been her first interaction with her. I try to socialize her as much as possible, she's been to puppy classes, constantly in obedience classes, take her to festivals, walks thru down town, the vet, the pet store, she's a regular "show and tell" addition at my friends daycare and the list goes on. She's endured 3 family reunions this summer and did fine at all of them. She's a gem with other dogs, will selectively bark at a couple that walk by the house when I have her outside but I've never seen any sort of reaction that I would chalk up to agression be it fear or otherwise. It's more of a bark, a play bow and when they don't engage her she comes back to me with her ball. I'm working on keeping her attention but that's another matter.It takes her a while to warm up to people and she doesn't approach anyone new with her tail wagging looking for a pet instead she'll watch them for a while then make up her mind if she's going to approach them or not. If they catch me off guard and approach her anywhere she'll let them pet her but I can tell she's uncomfortable and remove her from the situation but she's never growled, shown her teeth, raised her hackles or anything of the sort. I always thought this was normal and her demonstrating being "aloof" but being me, I tend to over analyze peoples comments when they are predicting the worse. Is this stanger blowing everything completely out of porportion or do I have to change up my plan?

Courtney M.
SG1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, BH 07/01/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Crowned Member

Neither one of my dogs will tolerate being pet by strangers while offleash outside of the house. They just ignore people trying to pet them, and I've never seen the need to correct it. If they're on leash then I'll either say no or tell them to sit and give a treat

In the house they're very friendly and will come up for pets and kisses to most people

Like you said, as long as there's no hackling or growling but simply aloofness then I fail to see a issue

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Neither one of my dogs will tolerate being pet by strangers while offleash outside of the house. They just ignore people trying to pet them, and I've never seen the need to correct it. If they're on leash then I'll either say no or tell them to sit and give a treat

In the house they're very friendly and will come up for pets and kisses to most people

Like you said, as long as there's no hackling or growling but simply aloofness then I fail to see a issue
I agree...I don't see a problem here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Knighted Member

I've noticed that there's tons of people out there that know all there is to know about everything under the sun - and they'll just get right in your face and share the wealth of info, without you even asking Did this person go right up to Gaia and start poking at her? If so, I'd be steering clear of that person in the future - just because I don't have any patience for this kind of person, lol!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
I've noticed that there's tons of people out there that know all there is to know about everything under the sun - and they'll just get right in your face and share the wealth of info, without you even asking Did this person go right up to Gaia and start poking at her? If so, I'd be steering clear of that person in the future - just because I don't have any patience for this kind of person, lol!

She tried to grab her collar as she was walking by because she wanted to get a closer look because she's so "different" looking. I asked her somewhat polietly not to do that again and that started the "you're going to have problems" speech.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's what I suspected but I just wanted to be sure as I'm still new to all of this.

Courtney M.
SG1
, BH 07/01/2013
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Knighted Member

Arrgghh! I had that happen to me - a neighbor grabbed my puppy's collar and I couldn't believe what I was seeing! What nerve! I was so mad I was shaking when I took the collar out of her hand. Well, these people are downright lunatics, IMO. Definitely don't worry about what she said.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaia_bear View Post
She tried to grab her collar as she was walking by because she wanted to get a closer look because she's so "different" looking. I asked her somewhat polietly not to do that again and that started the "you're going to have problems" speech.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's what I suspected but I just wanted to be sure as I'm still new to all of this.
From your first comment, it sounded like you have a typical GSD. After reading this last comment - Wow! This stranger really took a risk - I'd say you have a very good dog, my dog would have reacted to a stranger grabbing her collar. This person is crazy. That said, our previous GSD mix generally did not like being petted by strangers. Every once is a while we'd meet someone who had a really good vibe (sensitive and kind to animals) and she would warm up to this kind of person, otherwise indifferent.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Knighted Member

Wow are you kidding me?!? No, I don't feel like you've done ANYTHING wrong with her socialization. What does that person know how much you've done/are doing?!? sheesh...

To me it sounds like you are on the perfect track with Gaia. Keep it up. We love our well socialized pups here!

Wish my two were only half as well socialized as Gaia. Then IMO they'd be in much better socialized shape
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:29 PM

Oh people like this get me going, I would have said "are you a dog behaviorist? Do you have German Shepherds? what are your credentials?"

And grabbing her collar? That would have TICKED ME OFF! ok off my rant.

Keep doing what your doing, GSD's are supposed to be ALOOF, and she sounds pretty normal to me

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Crowned Member

She sounds like a great dog, that met a crazy lady and knew it.

No amount of socializing will turn a GSD into a powder-puff-I-love-everybody dog.

I don't think you will have trouble with her.

Just keep on keeping on, and ignore the "experts." Remember that a true expert will wait for you to seek them out and ask the question that is on your mind.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page