New Guy Here & No petting? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

New Guy Here & No petting?

Love this site! Picked up my Sable GSD about 10 days ago and he's awesome. My boy is about 10 weeks and when I went to the pet store some kids and others were trying to pet him - I told them to no and I picked up my pup and turned away.

The parents looked at me like I committed some crime. I said, "If the dog bites your kid then 'you' sue me." Response, "Well it's just a puppy and they wanted to pet him." My response, "It's not a circus animal and if they want to pet a puppy - go buy them one."

I don't know these people and my boy is a bit of a nipper and I don't want him to accept every person he sees. Anyone else feel this way?

Last edited by lhczth; 09-11-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: removing WT** from title.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Crowned Member

Welcome, and absolutely. You choose who your dog interacts with. He's not some toy for everyone's entertainment.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Elite Member

I agree that your pup isnt public entertainment, but I hope you werent rude or short with the kids.....they are just kids.

Balen Patchon Adopted 8-28-12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:01 AM

I completely understand especially when they are so young and some pups are nippy when they start teething. Kids can be so dramatic too if the dog nips at them and they start crying and acting like he took their arm off or something.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:02 AM
DWP

One or the other

Well, as he gets older you will experience the "petter" and the "Oh my God a killer!" Just goes with the territory. Good luck, have fun and don't teach him to juggle while standing on a large ball.

"Dogs were put on Earth to demonstrate unconditional love, cats are here to teach us we aren't that **** important"

Philip Perkins
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
I agree that your pup isnt public entertainment, but I hope you werent rude or short with the kids.....they are just kids.
Absolutely not... I was very kind and explained that he was just a pup and liked to nip. That didn't work and they still went after him so I picked him up. Children are just like pups, they're experiencing the world and I gave them the utmost respect. It was more of the parents' reaction.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWP View Post
Well, as he gets older you will experience the "petter" and the "Oh my God a killer!" Just goes with the territory. Good luck, have fun and don't teach him to juggle while standing on a large ball.
I couldn't help but burst out laughing at this image. Lol

You aren't the only one. No one seems to train their kids on the appropriate way to approach dogs anymore. It's like everyone bypassed the owner and goes straight for the dog without even asking questions.

It really doesn't get much better. Might want to invest in an "In Training" vest.

Ashley
Beulaville, NC

Moxy - GSD 6 yo (rescue)

Crow - Bassett fauve de Bretange 4 yo (adopted)

Mew - Maine Coon mix 6 yo (adopted)
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch
I understand the need to protect out dogs, but if you want to take your dog out into public and be a good representation to the breed, you're gonna have to socialize him to things like this. You're right, if he bites someone they could sue you, but if he's not use to this situation then you run a greater risk of that happening as he gets older IMO because he's not use to it.

I see no reason to be mean or rude about it, you have a PUPPY, what did you think was going to happen when you went out into public? lol.

I'd be more concerned about having a puppy out that hasn't had all his shots yet.

~Johanna~

Baily ~ GSD x ~ (Jan 2001 - Jan 2016)

Buddy ~ Schnauzer X Jack Russell ~ 11yrs
Merlin ~ Solid Black Cat DOB 4/5/2015 <Super Stalker Ninja Kitty>
Carrot ~ Solid Black Cat DOB (est) 7/15/2015
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Knighted Member

I hope you weren't rude to the kids.

I can understand the needing to not have your training interrupted, but remember too, socializing your dog with kids is really important. Perhaps the thing to do it teach the children to ask if they can pet your puppy and wait until you have him settled before they swoop in.

I wish I'd had more opportunities for my pup to meet kids, she's a bit weary of them.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Elite Member

Since you dont want any strangers touching your dog:

You can always tell them,
"Sorry, not today, he's in training. Maybe next time"...
That way no one has hurt feelings and you're happy as well ?
JMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page