We are having a husky camp! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

We are having a husky camp!

So we are having a husky camp in May of 2013 (far away I know). I'm so excited already! I get to meet a bunch of forum members from close to the midwest. It's only about an hour drive from me and I absolutely CANNOT wait to socialize my two.

I understand that for many this is a weird concept but on my husky forum they regularly do camps and play dates with people nearby that meet through the forum. IMO/observation since this breed is more sociable (correct term?) the owners are more likely to come together. Or is it really that weird maybe even a little unhealthy that strange people and strange dogs meet? What do you think?

Anyway, my second question is this. I will be taking both my dogs and both are a bit DA or reactive (I'm not sure which one). Should I think about skipping it altogether because of this? I don't want to make other people/dogs nervous. But I'm also thinking that because it is far away still, I can train and ready my dogs for the camp.

But how? I have zero big dog owning friends. And I'm not privy to dog parks as we've gotten a bad rap there since Smokey pees on people (not any more!) and has his issues with random dogs.

They designate caution with dogs like mine at the camp by using a yellow or red bandanna on the leash or around the neck but sometimes everyone starts off with a bandanna so I don't really get it. I also like the idea of a muzzle. What do you think?

Also, do you think it will be overwhelming for my dogs?

Last edited by Zeeva; 09-08-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post

They designate caution with dogs like mine at the camp by using a yellow or red bandanna on the leash or around the neck but sometimes everyone starts off with a bandanna so I don't really get it. I also like the idea of a muzzle. What do you think?

Also, do you think it will be overwhelming for my dogs?
This is a really good idea. I've heard of people putting yellow ribbon around the leash...this lets everyone know that their dog is not approachable. I would guess this only works as long as everyone knows what the yellow ribbon means. They give everyone the yellow bandanna because for example in this situation a dog might be doing well and then it might have an incident, so the yellow bandanna will go on so the dog has time to calm down without a million people/dogs approaching them. If I were you I would be hesitant about bringing the dogs into this situation. You are going to have to have a lot of control. I am also thinking if you are determined to do this only bring the one dog(the husky)...but these are just my thoughts

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Crowned Member

You have 8 months ,set some goals see how it goes. Can you work with atrainer or have someone evaluate him now to get a baseline and then after some training reevaluate. camp sounds fun. Lucky took his first ever vacation w/ us .We had increased his social outing prior to going. But on leash lucky is pretty neutral. That and I set limits on people about approach. Daisy was our most reactive and i found that she set him off. Llombardo's suggestion of 1 dog would work as it gives you more time and doesnt scatter your attention b/c things always happen in twos. one of the last times we took our two fishing Daisy saw ATVs or something went nuts .We were secluded cause thats how we handled her on trips and as I worked her down Luck slipped his collar walked about 100 yard to a family picnicing and went into Im a starving waif act . They laughed and called my husband and we retrieved our resident panhandler.

Last edited by Daisy&Lucky's Mom; 09-08-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy&Lucky's Mom View Post
You have 8 months ,set some goals see how it goes. Can you work with atrainer or have someone evaluate him now to get a baseline and then after some training reevaluate.

Sometimes just the weekly routine of going to classes teaches a dog how to behave better in the company of other dogs.
The Husky camp sounds like fun! All you have to remember is Zeeva isn't a Husky and you can't expect her to act like one.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
Sometimes just the weekly routine of going to classes teaches a dog how to behave better in the company of other dogs.
The Husky camp sounds like fun! All you have to remember is Zeeva isn't a Husky and you can't expect her to act like one.
Cheaper too.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Knighted Member

Also, you might want to consider only bringing one dog? Obviously, since it is a Husky camp, Smokey would be the attendee.

I know that I have a much easier time of it when I only have one dog with me. You wouldn't have to worry about the two feeding off each other, and you would be better able to devote your time and attention to that one dog.

I like the idea of taking an obedience class to prepare for the camp! It sounds like a lot of fun. I attend a Pug meet up every so often and we always have a blast.
Sheilah
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Master Member

Sounds awesome But if at all possible I'd only take one dog, it will be a lot less for you to worry about and you can give 100% of your attention to Smokey
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Knighted Member

That sounds like so much fun! What a great idea
I'm another one who thinks it should be just you and Smokey, BTW.
Can Zeeva spend the day with DH, just them doing something fun together? I think you'd enjoy it much more - I know I always have a better time when I only have 1 dog to take care of.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Elite Member

How fun!!!

I have met many people IRL from the different (scrapbooking) message boards I'm on So of course I don't think it's odd

Our 4-H kids have a weekend retreat each spring and we have a great time so I'm sure you'll have fun!

~ Dori ~

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian
Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page