Alpha Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Alpha Question

I have a question about being the alpha. OK, so we've had our pup a little over a week now. She's been coming along nicely. I stay at home all day and have been working with her multiple times a day as well as taking her for multiple walks. She minds me very nicely. Now, my husband works very long hours and has been unable to spend as much time with her. He does work with her before work and if he get's off at a decent time he takes her for nightly walks. She doesn't disobey my husband but she doesn't listen to him as consistently as she does me. I am looking into puppy classes but until than is there anything he can do to help her to understand that both he and I are the alphas? For example, she seems to come to me every time I ask her. She will got o him about 75% of the time he asks her. Is one person just naturally going to be the "top dog". We are doing clicker training as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Crowned Member

Its not an issue of alpha.....she's a baby. She views both of you as providers, and the one who provides the most(especially time and food) she will gravitate to a little more at this stage of her development.
All puppies have degrees of not listening.....part of childhood.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense! She's a good girl. We both adore her to pieces!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 06:21 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Think of it as a bond, not you being alpha or top dog over her. Her bond is stronger with you than with your husband because you're with her more. Obedience doesn't necessarily have anything to do with alpha status.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. It does make sense. I am with her ALL DAY. Plus I take her everywhere with me as well. He's really good with her two but let's face it, mamma knows best I suppose! LOL
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Think of it as a bond, not you being alpha or top dog over her. Her bond is stronger with you than with your husband because you're with her more. Obedience doesn't necessarily have anything to do with alpha status.
Exactly.

The term 'alpha' is a bit misleading and somehow got way over used over the years. It's also REALLY not appropriate when looking at a puppy and it's behaviors. Be like seeing a 2 year old child and being able to tell which will be a 4 star General in the Army when they grow up...

Our goal is to raise a happy and CONFIDENT puppy. So all the love and leadership that involves is our goal. Using toys, treats and praise all help to get that leadership bond and faith in us as a leader.

If you husband starts up 'engagement' training I bet he'll start gaining some respect in your pups eyes

Click this ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-training.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. I've been watching engagement training videos that I found on the site. It's really worked for me. It will take time. She is really smart and very eager to learn.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

I should add to this, she is very affectionate towards him. And he absolutely adores hers. There is no stressful vibes between dad and pup. In fact, I've never seen him so in love with a dog like he has been with her. I sent him videos on engagement training. I think that will for sure.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraulein View Post
I should add to this, she is very affectionate towards him. And he absolutely adores hers. There is no stressful vibes between dad and pup. In fact, I've never seen him so in love with a dog like he has been with her. I sent him videos on engagement training. I think that will for sure.
I know what you mean. My husband, Mike, revolves his life around the dogs and loves them. And they love him so much. But I'm the momma!

Carrie

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Bart - 9ish year old GSD/Akita
& 3 Cats Buffy, Rusty & Magoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page