new pup with a big scary bark with other dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

new pup with a big scary bark with other dogs

My pup is about 5 months. We've had her for one week now. So far she gets a long walk between 1-3 times daily. She goes for rides, we go to the park etc. I'm doing my best to socialize her. She is fine with humans. She'll watch people but is calm and alert. She shows typical shepherd characteristics. Now, when she sees other dogs it's a different story. She barks and barks and seems to get very insecure and nervous. I'm trying my best to get her us to strange dogs but no one wants to let their dog near her because she sounds so tough. For example, she met my in laws border collie today. She acted rough and tough but when he barked at her she yelped and ran off. I think her bark is worse than her bite. I'm looking into classes but want to work on this in the mean time. After awhile she got a bit better. She would come to me when I called and would stop barking. I'm wondering if she thinks the other dogs will hurt us. I would love to go to the dog park but am worried about how she'll do. Plus, I have gotten the stink eye from many people when the see her. They seem to think that gsd are bred to attack for no reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 12:24 AM

Mine is about a yr and a half and is typically the loudest dog in the park. Barking while playing, barking while trying the get the attention of another dog, or barking while running away from a louder bark. I just kept bringing him to the park at the same times so I'd come in contact with the same owners for the most part so they became familiar with his style of play as well. Initially I was hesitant and completely on alert to make sure didn't scare anyone. Now they all know he's all bark and no bite. Id just be aware of the different types of barks they present and act accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using PG Free
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Jag
Knighted Member

Sounds like you have a shy dog, and sorry.. but people are right. Your dog very well could start biting out of fear. Please get her to a GOOD trainer ASAP to start working on managing these behaviors. In the meantime, I'd keep her away from other dogs because you don't know what will happen.

Dog parks can be extremely stressful to a fearful dog. Please don't make matters worse by taking her there. If she goes into 'fight or flight' and feels she has no way out, you could have a nasty fight on your hands rather quick.

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
"Mr. Grim"- Threaten my handler. I dare you.

Last edited by Jag; 09-02-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. That does help. I don't mind her being on alert but she should act the same with dogs as she does with humans. Unless threatened of course. I'm also thinking she's trying to protect my kids. She's very "mother hen" and I think she gets nervous. But yes, I've not had to deal with this prejudice before. People freak when I come to the park. They tell their kids to stay away and everything. She's sweet and doesn't bark at children. I want her socialized with kids so I'm taking her to places with lots of kids.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

She's good with our other dog. And I do agree. I've not allowed her to go up to other dogs. I know my in laws dog so I wasn't worried. But, she's still new to me so I'm trying to figure her out. When I got her from the shelter she was barking at other dogs and then tried to play. My in laws dog got mad that she kept barking and snapped and she got scared. I'm going to put her in classes because I don't want her being shy with dogs. I guess she was never around other dogs before I got her. Thankfully she's young enough to handle easily. But like I said, I'm not sure if she's barking out of fear or out of need to protect. My in laws dog loves to swim in the pool. She would watch him and once he got close to the kids she would bark.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

I should also add, she barks like this at my cats. It's a bigggggg bark. Very intimidating. So, the cats freak and run. Well, she finally got close to one and was wagging her tail like crazy and was smelling him all over but barked. She didn't try to hurt him. Could this be excitement? My old shepherd use to bark at animals if he couldn't get to them because he wanted to play.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Jag
Knighted Member

Without seeing it's hard to say. A trainer would be able to tell you after doing an evaluation. If she has a higher prey drive, she may try to go after your cats if they run. She may end up liking them.

Since she had a bad experience with a dog already, that's going to take time to undo. Another reason to avoid dog parks. Taking her to puppy classes may help to get her socialized more around dogs that don't pose a threat. Fearful dogs will not protect you. When confronted, they will run away. There's a good thread on fearful vs. protective. Managing the behaviors early with the help of a trainer will give your dog the best chance.

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
"Mr. Grim"- Threaten my handler. I dare you.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Yes, it will take time. We're holding off on the dog park because of the kids. I'm not ready for my kids to go into one because you never know how the will react. I was pleased that she would come when called when she was barking at the other dog. I'm planning on taking her to classes asap. But for having her for a week and getting her at 5 months she's done really well. She's great with people (or the people that will come and pet her). My fathers old gsd was very odd with cats. He loved outdoor cats but hated indoor cats. Our indoor cats would try to get close and he would growl. But once he was around his outdoor cats he would groom them,play, and sleep with them. Lol he was weird!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page