Position of feet /legs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Position of feet /legs

Wolfy Dog is hitting adolescence; almost 7 months old. He was beautifully square at 11 weeks but now he is cow hocked in his hind legs and his front feet point outward when he is standing still. I know this is an awkward age but I am still wondering what your experiences are in this developmental process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Banned

Photos might help
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Knighted Member

I have had a similar experience with Xerxes, my 5 month old. His back legs points out instead of straight when he walked so I took him to my vet. He asked what I was feeding him. I said, "Natures Balance Ultra." He said," Get him off of it. This puppy is getting way to many nutrience and he's growing way to fast." So I backed him up to Purina adult at his recomondation. He said," Check back in 6 weeks and let me know how he is doing." I was sweating bullets, afraid it was hip displasia, even though his parents have excellent ratings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Banned

Wait....
What are you feeding your dog? Purina!!!!

Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

Purina Dog Chow Dog Food
The Bottom Line

Judging by its ingredients alone, Purina Dog Chow looks to be a below-average dry dog food.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Banned

Pups are gangly at this age. Watch his gait, watch his movement. Feed him the best you can, love him, leave the rest to God.

An awkward position does not have to mean any serious disease. Pictures would help, but from my experience a posture is not indicative of anything.

Also make sure you are not exceeding 1.2% calcium and 1% phosphorus in his diet. As the last poster some what incorrectly referred to, excessive calcium can lead to explosive growth leading to incorrect bone alignment and pain.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitta View Post
I have had a similar experience with Xerxes, my 5 month old. His back legs points out instead of straight when he walked so I took him to my vet. He asked what I was feeding him. I said, "Natures Balance Ultra." He said," Get him off of it. This puppy is getting way to many nutrience and he's growing way to fast." So I backed him up to Purina adult at his recomondation. He said," Check back in 6 weeks and let me know how he is doing." I was sweating bullets, afraid it was hip displasia, even though his parents have excellent ratings.
Some vets are idiots and give horrible advice!

Murdock, BH - GSD
Virgil, CGC - GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tara, Reagan, Madison, and Jefferson - Aussies
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.rigby View Post
Some vets are idiots and give horrible advice!
Agreed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page