I got Hunter a new puppy friend -- he doesn't like him! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

I got Hunter a new puppy friend -- he doesn't like him!

Hunter is 11 months old.. I got him today a 2 month old puppy. He did sniff her and everything and let her smell him for a bit at first. Later, not that he was being hostiel in any way, but he would leave when she comes and lays down next to him. She sits on his legs he walks away and avoids eye contact. I fed them seperately today and made sure I gave hunter the same attention I always do. Took them both on a walk (carried her most of the way) and then came back home. Hunter still avoids her. I throw the ball for hunter, he gets excited, she follows him excited too, then hunter just takes the ball and goes away from her.

Hunter in general is a VERY VERY chilled out dog. Likes to sit and enjoy the wind. He chases the ball forever don't get me wrong.. but overall he's not very playful with other dogs, very selective.

Does Hunter just need time or have I made a bad decision?

pics of my stallion and princess

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Master Member

Needs more time. When I brought Spirit home, my older dog didn't interact with him for a couple of days, completely ignored him and turned away any time he tried to initiate play.

But after a few days of this, I initiated a game of tug between the two and now they are best buds, they play together all the time.

Cute pup, and Hunter is gorgeous.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Elite Member

Oh boy, Hunter does not look happy with you in that second picture! And the pictures of them sitting as far away from each other are adorable!

I agree with giving them time to adjust to each other

~ Dori ~

Koda: 14 yr old Samoyed
Nita: 7 yr old GSD
Ryder: 5 yr old Samoyed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Elite Member

Stallion=intact male horse. I've heard this a couple times lately, and I dont get it.

Anyway, they are both adorable. I would definitely give it more time. At this point its been less than 24 hours?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

My older female chose to ignore the GSD pup for a couple weeks(I think she thought that if she ignored her long enough she would go away). Every now and then she gets into a playful mood with the pup(the older dog is 8), but most of the time they just relax together. The golden does all the playing with the GSD.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
Stallion=intact male horse. I've heard this a couple times lately, and I dont get it.

Anyway, they are both adorable. I would definitely give it more time. At this point its been less than 24 hours?
correct.. about 5-6 hours when the pictures were taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
My older female chose to ignore the GSD pup for a couple weeks(I think she thought that if she ignored her long enough she would go away). Every now and then she gets into a playful mood with the pup(the older dog is 8), but most of the time they just relax together. The golden does all the playing with the GSD.

I see... good to know
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Crowned Member

How are things today? Has the little one wiggled its way into the bigger one's heart yet?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post

Many breeders use the term "stallion" or "stallion like" to designate a very masculine male...marketing that sticks !!"

They will eventually do fine....you may want to crate the little girl to give Hunter a break time...

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

Nice pictures. They are good looking. I am guessing he will come around, but agree that it might be helpful to crate the pup some of the time as puppies can be a bit much.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Master Member

It took all of our dogs several weeks/months to finally enjoy the company of the newest members as they each came into the faimly. My oldest female took almost 4-5 months before accepting zeus when we got him..she'd ignore him and act like your male is. She would prefer her play friends coming over for a visit and not zeus..finally after a few months she realized he could play too. Same thing for when we brought kimber home..several months. It takes time, they need to bond, have same amount of attention and he needs his alone time with you and breaks from her. Unless he is being aggressive and trying to harm her youll be fine.

Lexi- GSD/Bull Mastiff
Zeus-GSD
Kimber-GSD
Diesel-GSD
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page