Pano or sprain or torn ligament?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Pano or sprain or torn ligament??

My 4 month old puppy started limping last Friday. It was slight and so I waited until first thing Monday AM to take him to the vet. Vet said it was growing pains or maybe a slight sprain but that he's doing great, he barely saw a limp, and if it got worse we could come back and get some pain meds. Memphis was a little better yesterday and then this afternoon I went to pick him up so he wouldn't jump off the couch and he yelped. His limping is worse now... I don't think there's any way he could have broken any thing or even really don't see how it could be a tear.... Really concerned he is so pathetic right now. I'm taking him back in the AM but I am driving myself crazy worrying in the meantime that he would need surgery or something.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Also nothing seems to bother him when I touch his arm or shoulder and move it around. Only when I picked him up the one time..

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Any other symptoms? Fever, loss of appetite, lethargy?

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

The two nights it was the worst he would just lay. Very lethargic. He seems warm but I don't know if it's a fever...

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Crowned Member

Pano doesn't usually hit at 4 months. He could have the same thing as Thor...HOD ask your vet about this as a possibility https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...87742-hod.html

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Knighted Member

Yes, Jane, this is what I was thinking. JWM, don't hesitate to mention it to your vet because many vets have never treated it or even seen a case. Has he had any vaccines lately? What are you feeding?

What's you puppy's name?

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

His name is Memphis and he's a doll. I feel so terrible for him... I am feeding him Blue Buffalo for Puppies. Had vaccines the 4th and the 20th (but the limping started on the 17th.

If it is HOD, is it curable? What was your dog doing before your realized he had it? How can you tell?

Thanks so much...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Also was it painful for him if you moved his foot, leg, shoulder around? He doesn't mind any of that and is able to put some pressure on it but very much favors the right leg.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Knighted Member

Thor's case was pretty severe to the point where he wouldn't leave his eat or leave his crate and was in so much pain that he tried to bite us if we made any attempts to move him. When he got to the vet, his fever was 105.8.

The treatment for HOD is mainly to alleviate pain and inflammation and puppies grow out of it. There can sometimes be permanent damage to the bones. I hope Memphis doesn't have it.

Is that the large breed puppy formula that you're feeding? If it's not, you should switch.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

I'm so sorry your baby went through that... Memphis is not swollen and doesn't mind if we touch him... Is eating and drinking normally and enthusiastically and is lethargic only some of the time - coincides with how badly he is limping. Will run if we let him, but we don't (though last night he got away from me in the living room to run to my husband when he got home). If he's distracted he will walk or run as best he can but is just hobbly. Otherwise he lifts it While sitting. Doesn't yelp at all when I move his arm around (and it is just the one leg)... Only time he did was when I lifted him out of the car yesterday...So maybe a sprain? I'm getting anti inflammatories from the vet today and we will see how that does.

Praying it's not HOD but THANK YOU for the info. I'll ask the dr about it tonight when I go pick up his meds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page