Puppy relationship - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Puppy relationship

I brought a new puppy home(black and tan 1 month old GSD) giving Ariel some company. Ariel being 3 months and the male puppy being 1 month should there be any type of aggressiveness expected? I've let little puppy roam around Ariel and she licks his face, smells his butt, then she squares off with him and paws at him(sometimes hard enough to knock him over) is she trying to tell him to back off or are they just playing?

Sent from my iPod touch using PG Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
I brought a new puppy home(black and tan 1 month old GSD) giving Ariel some company. Ariel being 3 months and the male puppy being 1 month
Wow. If you can, return the 1 month old, work on your 3 month old, wait till Ariel gets 2 years old and then think about getting another pup from a responsible breeder. So many red flags here. Good luck.

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Crowned Member

You brought home a 4-5 week old puppy with a approx 12 week old puppy?

Without seeing a video it could be play...

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

why is the age difference making such a big deal? :/
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 AM

Just chiming in here, a little experience. We brought home a 4 week old GSP- who now is 7 months. I thought I was doing the greatest thing of all no sweat. I have been through the potty training etc with pups and had no problem. Well our little Chloe showed me different. Our other pup at the time of brining her home was 6 months and they get along so well-I would love it if that was the only thing though we had to think of.
The cost is very expensive, Shots etc.- I have spent alot in vet bills this year. Too much to think about. I would probably cry. The cost of puppy food is so expensive especially when they are a pup they eat so much more and having two just doubles it.
Then not to mention the training. My male non-gsp was great at training before the GSP, but now he is stubborn and does it when he wants and other times is great. The GSP is awesome though in training.
Each situation is different of course and maybe you have experience where I did not. If I had to change it I would have waited until the Lab mix was trained before I brought in another pup.
Congrats on your pup and Good luck in whatever your decision.
Would love to see pictures.

Casey-black/white lab/springer mix 060511
Chloe-GSP- 01/14/12
Cassie-GSD/Heeler mix 12/26/01-09/05/11 RIP You will be missed always, Mommy loves you baby,

Bear-Lasa-poo (Our energizer bunny) RIP
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
No reputable breeder that knows what they are doing would allow a novice to purchase a 4 week old puppy. Most of the time, pups go home at 8 weeks and over. If most reputable breeders knew about your other young pup, they would definitely not have allowed you to take home another pup. At the very least, they would have cautioned you.

Read this:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...pies-once.html

Ash

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 AM

i thought pups needed to be at least the minimum of 8 weeks before bringing them home?

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

seriously? are you expressing the age correctly -- 4 weeks. That pup isn't even weaned yet. The longer the nursing at the mother's teat the better developed its immune system is going to be. At that age the dog isn't even eating solid food , the stomach flora not fully in place.
This is just making the youngest a victim. Physical damage highly likely . They are not peers.

I have 8 week old pups and then I have a male that I brought in from my breeder friend (the geefacker pup) . He, is 13 weeks . I don't put them together . No contact.
For the sake of the youngest , and the mentality of the elder .

this is wrong in so many ways ---
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

ok now i know what you guys meant, wish i had known before. but it seems like some people in the other thread had no problem raising two together while some had great difficulty. hopefully i wont have too much of a problem
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Knighted Member

Return this puppy if you can. You are asking for long term problems

Ash

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page