First night at home, introducing to kitten! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

First night at home, introducing to kitten!

Hi, so my 7 month old GSD is coming to stay one night at home so he can start adapting (he is training in a facility wich i visit almost everyday).
I have a 3 month kitten, really playful, i don't think he will have any trouble adapting, but im afraid my Dog takes his "play" as an attack and bites him. I read somewhere that the best way to bring them together was to have the dog in the kennel, and let the cat approach and investigate while watching the dog reaction, but a trainer suggested the other way around, let the dog free and the cat in the kennel.
Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated
thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 01:55 PM

Wish I could give you some useful advice. My pup is a bit over a year now and he has lived with our two cats since we brought him home almost a year ago. I was told that they'd eventually "work it out". We've had no such luck. Any time the cat get close to his ex-pen or crate, he starts to bark and lunge at the cat(s), if he is out, he'll usually give chase. I tried serveral ways to introduce them and get him to leave the cats alone, but nothing has ever stuck. I guess his prey drive just gets the best of him. Hope you have better luck!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your fast response, im sorry to hear that . Well im moving to a bigger house with a nice garden in 3 months, so if he doesnt work it out, at least the cat will have lots of space to feel comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 02:45 PM

That's pretty much our situation now. The cats are either upstairs in the bedrooms or downstairs in the basement. As long as everyone remains in their respective borders, the peace treaty is maintained. Any border crossings usually result in a territorial skirmish and a quick chase ensues until the cats are herded back to where the dog thinks they belong. Maybe one day...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:11 PM

Please take the time to do a quick search of the forums on this subject, there are so many great answers for this problem here. The best one I've found was the leave it command. It has taken 2 mos but we've finally got a pretty solid leave it with our cat, who tolerates him now that he isn't chasing her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page