Dog-reactive - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Dog-reactive

So out of no where we've had problems in obedience class with Viking. During puppy play-time he's fine in groups but one-on-one with a dog his own size his demeanor changes and he can get aggressive. He is fine one-on-one with our friends 20lb mutt but when put in with dogs his own size it changes. A month ago we stopped at a dog park because it had a lake in it and I wanted to swim him and he was FINE with the other dogs.

The aggression he was showing was a curled lip and not-so-friendly barking. However he never bit the other dog or anything like that. He'd get rough with his play though. The trainer put him on a leash and he tried to lunge at another dog (he walks past dogs on leash every single day no problem in front of our house, not even a bark).

The trainer was trying to figure out what was making him dog reactive. She tried to claim that schutzhund is what was causing his aggression (which isn't the case at all). Asked if we were using the prong collar and I mentioned only for specific working purposes (no corrections yet) and she said "That's it! That's what's making him dog aggressive!".

The suggestion was to go to a dog park outside the fence and keep working with him until he stops reacting to the dogs on the other side of the fence. So I went to the dog park, went up to the fence... and Viking did not bat an eye or care. Completely different demeanor from in class.

I don't know what's up or what's going on with this. Any tips?

As I said, he hasn't shown any signs of aggression anywhere else.

Viking vom Zeder-Kamme (11/19/2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Knighted Member

Is it just one particular dog?

How old is he?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 08:07 AM

So this is happening only in a classroom with one on one? and what anthony asked is it just this one particular dog?

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Crowned Member

Is he neutered yet? May simply be those dang adolescent hormones.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

It was one dog. But the trainer's reaction was to put him in an ex-pen by himself forcing him to watch the other dogs play and bringing the other dogs to the other side of the fence. Viking curled his lip over his teeth and barked through the fence (or at least the trainer claims, I never saw his upper teeth).

It's ONLY been replicated in the classroom. I have brought him around tons of dogs outside the classroom in the past week without issue.

He's almost 9 months now, not neutered.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Banned

i've never trained in Schutzhund. the Schutzhund trained dogs i've been
around weren't reactive to other dogs. i did the "train on the other
side of the fence" at the dog park. i started training in the parking lot
at the dog park and moving closer and closer to the fenced in area.
at some point i use to train along the fence at the dog park. once
my dog started learning and obeying commands on the outside of the
fence i went inside the dog park and gave commands.my dogs reward for obeying was freetime in the dog park.

maybe your dog needs more socialization. do some small group
play time. conduct a few play groups at your house. when training at the dog park start training away from the enclosure. slowly move closer
and closure to the enclosure. train along the fence line. as far as training and socializing around other dogs you can do that wherever you find
other dogs.

don't worry. i think a little more exposure to other dogs and you're going to fine.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

That's the problem... he listens to commands in the dog park no problem. He listens to commands at the fence no problem. He ignores other dogs when I'm around. But in puppy class, during play time... problems occur. He's around other dogs socialized weekly an he had no reaction to being on the other side of a fence at the dog park yesterday.

What really irritates me is that the trainer keeps trying to blame schutzhund and blame prong collars for this. As SOON as she heard we were doing schutzhund she started finding reasons to pull him away from the other dogs. For example he was playing fine and all of the sudden she pulled him out of the group because she thinks he was "getting too excited". I'm fairly sure she's discriminating against him. I mean, I don't deny aggression showing up, but I think the trainer is part of the reason. That or it has something to do with the last class he was in at the same place (different trainer) where a black lab tried bullying him and pushing him around repeatedly. Viking responded harshly and corrected the lab to get the lab to leave him alone and the lab FLIPPED OUT. We broke them apart before a fight happened and the lab was taken out of class but I worry that that may have had an effect on him and being in that environment now sets him on edge.

Last edited by ladyfreckles; 08-11-2012 at 10:02 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Crowned Member

So, your trainer has an adolescent play group? anytime you get a group of adolescents together, there's bound to be trouble. I doubt your trainer is making your dog more aggressive, nor do I think SchH or a prong collar is making him more aggressive, I think it's just adolescence, hormones, and the presence of other adolescents with hormones.

In my opinion, puppy socialization does the most good from birth to about 20 weeks.... after that, the puppies are about as well-socialized as they're going to get. Once everyone starts hitting puberty, hormones start to bubble up and squabbles start to arise, and it's at a point of diminishing returns. I just think it's a good time to wean them off puppy time, and start focusing more on training time with the human.

Dog-dog interaction is still good for fun and exercise, but when a dog hits puberty, I like to let them run in a mixed group with well-adjusted, mature older dogs to serve as role models.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I think that sounds like a stellar plan. I remember a few months back reading about someone on here who, at the same age Viking is at right now, encountered a similar issue and chose to just keep him out of play groups for a few months. By the time they did introduce him to other dogs again he was totally over it. I may take that approach. I'd rather keep him out of trouble than risk a dog fight just because I want to "socialize" him more.

It's an obedience class. The last one before the CGC class. The new trainer does things way differently than the old one did which is why I suspected maybe the way she was isolating him was causing problems. However regardless of what's causing it the important thing to do is keep it managed, controlled and fix it.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted if anything else comes up.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Is he neutered yet? May simply be those dang adolescent hormones.
I'd second that and a lot of situational things it seems.
How's Viking doing? Haven't seen pics in a while!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page