How should an older dog react around a puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

How should an older dog react around a puppy?

My neighbors really wanted their 5 year old dog to meet my 10 week old puppy, but as soon as their dog got close to my puppy she stopped and didn't move her body or head and growled. I was holding my puppy back a little and when she growled I backed up. My neighbors just kept insisting she won't hurt my puppy but I did not agree. How is an older dog supposed to respond to a puppy? I'm so scared a dog is going to attack my puppy when the owners say its "okay"

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Crowned Member

We have had meetings with older dogs where the older dog sniffs, then licks Hans's mouth. Also, sniffing with calm, horizontal (not upright) tail wagging.

A lot of older dogs do not like puppies and think they should be put in their place. You are wise to be careful.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Crowned Member

Never believe the owner over the dog. Lots of adult dogs do not like puppies. Under no circumstances let a growling dog near your puppy. It's your job to protect him and keeping him back is the way to do it.

My older dog would like nothing more in the world than to be a puppy sitter. He LOVES puppies. People bring their little ones over to meet him to ensure their pups have a good experience with adult dogs. Even though he loves puppies, I always put him in a down and make him stay there so he doesn't accidentally scare the pup by being too pushy or smush it with a foot. Once the pup is feeling good around him, then I let him up and make sure he's very gentle.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:55 AM

Take the cues from the dogs, not the owners. If she's growling threateningly, don't push your pup forward. It could hurt her psychological development and make her fearful towards dogs in the future.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

There is no "should". There is no "supposed to". Some dogs are great with puppies, others are not. That's just how they are. I'd err on the side of caution if it were my puppy because I want interactions with other dogs to be a positive experience not a terrifying one!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:31 AM
Crowned Member

Absolutely do not let that dog interact with your puppy. Stiff body and growling is saying back off. Bring that puppy closer and that dog will react in a negative way. I'll guarantee it.

Elaine summed it up perfectly... "never believe the owner over the dog". That dog wanted no part of your puppy.

My advice... never let your puppy (or dog when he gets older) interact with this dog.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Absolutely do not let that dog interact with your puppy. Stiff body and growling is saying back off. Bring that puppy closer and that dog will react in a negative way. I'll guarantee it.

Elaine summed it up perfectly... "never believe the owner over the dog". That dog wanted no part of your puppy.

My advice... never let your puppy (or dog when he gets older) interact with this dog.

I think saying never is a bit harsh. There are still things you can do to get them used to each other without being close enough for the pup to get hurt. Take daily walks, one dog on one sideof the street, the other on the opposite. Things like that. You are being very wise to be careful though.

When we brought our pup home, our 2 year old GSD wanted to kill him. We did a lot of slow introductions and Leyna now adores Zeus.

SBD Posejpal's Leyna, HCTs 6/16/2010
SBD Posejpal's Hades, 5/9/12

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggirl47 View Post
I think saying never is a bit harsh. There are still things you can do to get them used to each other without being close enough for the pup to get hurt. Take daily walks, one dog on one sideof the street, the other on the opposite. Things like that. You are being very wise to be careful though.

When we brought our pup home, our 2 year old GSD wanted to kill him. We did a lot of slow introductions and Leyna now adores Zeus.
But why do these two dogs have to get along or be friends? Your situations a little different because your dogs live together. These dogs just live near each other.

OP ... if you really feel they need to be friends then go with this advice. It is good advice. I just wouldn't risk it if this were my puppy. All it takes is one attack to change the mindset of a puppy towards other dogs.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
But why do these two dogs have to get along or be friends? Your situations a little different because your dogs live together. These dogs just live near each other.

OP ... if you really feel they need to be friends then go with this advice. It is good advice. I just wouldn't risk it if this were my puppy. All it takes is one attack to change the mindset of a puppy towards other dogs.

Yes, my situation is different. However, if they are neighbors it is best for the dogs to be used to each other. They don't have to be friends but they do need to learn to be good neighbors.

SBD Posejpal's Leyna, HCTs 6/16/2010
SBD Posejpal's Hades, 5/9/12

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Master Member

my rufus used to be awesome with puppies . once he turned 8 he decided he didnt like puppies anymore (probably due to puppy teeth and the jumping ) now he prefers older calm dogs.. every dog is different.. dont risk your puppy with the neighbors dog

Maryellen
Rufus CGC,ATTS,TherapyDog
Sadie ATTS
Honey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page