Great morning!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Smile Great morning!!

Wow, overall hugely successful. First I took him to Happy Tails which is a dog daycare center just down the road. He needed his nails trimmed so we got that done. He HATES this, he expressed his anal glands Going to start taking him there every few weeks until he gets used to it and I can do it myself. Amazingly, they said he was really good!

Then we stopped by the local convenience store, a lot of traffic there. Met up with the breeder who works there, Spirit always loves to see her. We sat and watched people come and go. One time he saw a group of people walking towards us (more in the direction of the door) and he started barking and was clearly alarmed, very much out in front of me. I think that was the only negative this morning, not sure what the trigger was. He was completely fine with people walking by, even people walking by closely.

Then we went to Tractor Supply where I got to take him in with me. He was a little concerned about the automatic doors opening and closing so we hung around the entrance for awhile. Other than that, no problems at all. He took a treat from the cashier with no hesitation.

THEN (LOL), we went to my son's work which is a home theatre store. Spirit adores my son, he was so excited to see him Spirit got to meet up with the installers in the back, and then the owner dropped by with a huge lab named Gus ... so Spirit got to meet a new dog -- gotta love that!

On our way back home, we dropped by a police station where I asked for a police offer to come outside to meet Spirit. Spirit did great, and the policeman was so kind. He commended me for getting Spirit out and talked about the GSD he had as a child.

Spirit is sleeping soundly now ... a tired pup is a happy pup

I learn so much about Spirit when we're out in public together. Really helps me identify what we need to work on. I don't think he will ever be a social butterfly, but he has to learn to be comfortable in the world, or at least to trust me to watch out for him. I think just getting out and about on a regular basis will go a long ways towards that.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions for future outings, please do share

I do not like him barking at strangers when he feels uncomfortable. I want him to sit and observe quietly. He can be uncomfortable, that's fine, but I'm not liking the barking, makes him look like a mean dog and it's going to be scary for people when he gets bigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like you are doing a great job of socializing him, and introducing him to new things. If you want to take him around larger size crowds youth baseball or soccer fields are good for that.

Thanks for sharing your tired pups itenerary with us, no wonder he was ready for a nap.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ellen View Post
Spirit is sleeping soundly now ... a tired pup is a happy pup
totally agree! I love days like these? how old is your pup? I tire mine out by taking them on a walky dog! you are doing so well socializing him...<3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Crowned Member

That is a fasntastic experience and training your giving Spirit. This stuff will really pay off.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

He's a couple weeks shy of 5 months. Someone that saw him a month ago and then again today told me he's doubled in size!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page