Best way to play with my "bitey" 10 w/o pup?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Best way to play with my "bitey" 10 w/o pup??

Hello! This is my first post on the site, hopefully I'm not asking a question that has been asked a million times. If so, I'm sorry!

We have a 10 week old male named Rufus. He is clearly a very smart little guy who I can honestly see potential in. He's definitely a little piranha right now, but I know he will eventually grow out of it and I think he is going to be a great companion and member of our pack. I feel a little lost though when it comes to playing with him. I love to take him for walks and I also really enjoy working on basic commands with him.....but the biting makes it REALLY hard to get on the ground and play with him. No matter how many times I shove a toy in his mouth, he immediately comes back to my hands (or legs, or arms, or feet or hair.) So I tried getting him a nice, bouncy ball to play fetch him but he was zero interest in chasing it. I tried filling a toy with peanut butter, but he pretty much ignored that as well. I've been actively working on bite inhibition, but I honestly don't know that I've seen very much improvement on the frequency or power of his bites. I am making sure that he gets ALOT of exercise, but even after a good walk or romp with some of the other dogs, he still likes to munch on me!

What kinds of games are good to play with GSD of only 10 weeks? Especially a very "bitey" one. I want to bond with him, and I know that playing with him is one of the BEST ways to do so, I just get a little tired of being used as a human pin-cushion!

Last edited by MomToRufus; 08-07-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Crowned Member

he is trying to see how far he can get away with things. I went through the same thing with my pup, now 6 months old and gentle. I too pulled my hair out sometimes. I played a lot of tug (by the rules; mine!) to get it out of his system and a lot of on leash time inside to control his biting me and the other, older dogs (you just keep him out of reach and teach him "Leave It!"
Also take him to a class and let him play with safe, socially skilled adult dogs that will teach him "NO!". He will scream bloody murder but that's what his mom has done too.
This formula turned my pup into the dog I had in mind when I got him.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Do you just stick a toy in his mouth, or do you play with him with it? A toy that just sits there and does nothing is way less interesting that you are - make the toy MOVE!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Elite Member

Our pup loves to chase balls, so in addition to her stuffed toys she has her favorite soccer ball, dog tennis balls and a horse ball that she can chase and chew on

~ Dori ~

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian
Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

You see this yet? ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...nhibition.html

You are in good company!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:13 AM

I am new here, and just saw this! I am going through the same thing with my puppy! She is learning but her teeth are sharp! She is 14 weeks and gets sassy, now it's pant legs! I am going to read recommended link now!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Master Member

Try a game of soccer Get a ball that your pup can get ahold of with his teeth and kick it around for him. Spirit quite enjoys this game, he'll block me ... lay on the ball, stand over the ball ... but clearly is waiting for me to kick it away for him to chase. And then he always brings it back. Great fun
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 09:57 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrk9 View Post
I am new here, and just saw this! I am going through the same thing with my puppy! She is learning but her teeth are sharp! She is 14 weeks and gets sassy, now it's pant legs! I am going to read recommended link now!
Welcome to the forum dbrk9! Enjoy that thread (and all of us that suffered too!) It does work!!!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I will definitely try soccer for sure, and I've read through most of the bite inhibition thread He is a good pup, and I am trying to be very patient even when my hands and feet are being attacked!! He seems to really respond well to tug of war, but I had read mixed opinions on whether or not that encourages him to "challenge" me. Any thoughts on tug-of-war specifically? He seems to be responding well to "leave it" now, but he will drop the rope toy and instantly start Nom-ing my hands
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:53 PM

I would recommend a rope toy of some sort so you can play tug of war with. My puppy is 10 weeks old too right now, and she's in her "land shark" stage, lol. I realized that once we start the game of tug of war, she forgets about biting the crap out of me! Good luck with your piranha :-)

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page