concerned for my puppy (only 4 m old and problem with rear?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

concerned for my puppy (only 4 m old and problem with rear?)

Im new to this forum and looking for a little help. my german shepard (Marley) is 5 months on the 9th and he seems to have some hip problems he lays down on his 2 hind legs closed and when slips on the tile sometimes he would land on his stomach with his legs spreaded open an whine and cry untill he gets back up. this is a frequent problem that only shows wheb he lays down with his legs open. Help?

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 08-07-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:38 AM
Jag
Knighted Member

Go to the vet and have a hip prelim X ray done. Did the pup come from a breeder that had their dog's hips certified? He may be griping just because he slipped, but if he's getting up slow or laying funny that may be a sign. My first shepherd had bad hips, and it showed before he was 2.

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
"Mr. Grim"- Threaten my handler. I dare you.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:42 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Think you may want to keep him off slippery floors while he grows. Can you buy some throw rugs to get him thru this time?

Also, if you can otherwise exercise him to tighten up his muscles/joints that will help with his balance.

Talk to your breeder and get their feel for the situation. We pay a bit more money for a responsible breeder who can reassure us and help with questions just like this.

Good luck!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:44 AM
Crowned Member

Can you post a video of this so we can see what you are talking about? Hard to say anything without seeing it.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:03 AM
Crowned Member

I would get your dog in to the vet and have him/her gently manipulate your dog's back legs to see if there is a range of motion problem. If there is pain, then you may want to get x-rays to find out what is going on. I'm not sure if a five month old pup is really grown up enough that an x-ray would show a definitive answer though. That's still a very young pup.

I don't think your pup is too young to start on a joint supplement though (check with your vet first). It can't hurt.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Cant really post a video but is there any specific excersises u would recomend? im going to take him to the vet tomarrow also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page