Bonding?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Bonding??

I was wondering what the best ways are to bond with my puppy. I spend most of the time with her out of the family, (she's considered my dog) but she seems to be a lot more excited to see other people. Like when my mom comes home, she gets so excited and with me she doesn't get nearly as excited. She is a family dog, but she was bought for me (I'm really not trying to sound selfish, but my family usually hates dogs, and I'm do grateful they got me such a wonderful pup). Any ideas on how to bond with her?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 PM

Keeping the puppy tethered to you for short time periods so it has to learn your movements and habits.
Also, playing games that teach puppy basics such as their name or "watch me". If the puppy learns that you provide it with awesome things, they're more likely to bond to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 PM

I think it's important that you continue to let the dog bond with other family members even if she seems to like them better. I am not saying that you do, but don't keep her away from other people on purpose in an attempt to get her to like you more. Anti-social dogs can be a nightmare. Plus, dint you want to her to be happy? If she is happy with other members of your family, then so be it. Anything else, and I hate to say it, would be selfish.

Last edited by Alrod; 08-15-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Crowned Member

Training classes are a wonderful bonding experience.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:33 PM

It is good that your pup bonds with other family members. It helps make them a well rounded, well socialized dog.. If you are seeking that little extra special bond it will happen naturally if you are the one who feeds, brushes, walks, trains and takes care of her.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Crowned Member

Don't think of it as her liking other family members better- she spends a lot of time with you, so they're new and novel, that's all Play training "games" with get-out MaggieRoseLee has posted excellent links for engaging with your puppy. Training (fun training!) builds her confidence and trust in you, which is the foundation of the bond you want. Enjoy it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page