German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Development & Socialization (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/)
-   -   Teething question (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/187953-teething-question.html)

JWM1022 08-05-2012 09:55 PM

Teething question

Today I noticed Memphis lost his two front bottom teeth and I can see the adult teeth coming in through the gums. I noticed this because he had been especially "bitey" today. He always nips but today he was biting me on my legs my hands arms the couch blankets, etc. anything his little pacman mouth could grab. My question is how can I help him and how long does this last? We gave him ice and he loved that and he has tons of chew toys, but is there anything that is especially helpful to make his pain not as bad? Does Orajel work? Is it safe?

How long should i expect he will be teething, typically?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Grizzpup 08-06-2012 08:37 AM

Around 4 months they should start teething and around 6 months they should end, but it may be a little longer. My pup is also teething and we give him frozen towels which he seems to like. I am not sure about the Orajel though.
Hope this helps!

JWM1022 08-06-2012 09:07 AM

teething.

How do you freeze the towels? That may be a dumb question -- do you soak them in something first? that's a great idea. i'll just have to watch memphis because he will find a way to swallow the whole thing if we don.t ;)

breyer08 08-06-2012 09:27 AM

Thanks for asking about this. My poor little Ava just turned 4 months, and her teething is getting crazy!! Luckily, she hasn't tried chewing on anything in the house yet (well, other than my husband and me!), but she constantly wants to chew on sticks in the back yard, so she has been asking to go outside a lot more lately. I give her ice cubes all throughout the day, I give her bully sticks, nylabones (both edible and inedible kinds) and lots of chew toys... but she seems to be in pain, and her gums are definitely swollen and a bit bloody where a new tooth just poked through. I was wondering the same thing as the OP: is there any pain reliever I can give her to help?

JWM1022 08-07-2012 09:14 AM

Breyer, I bought him something called a "chilly bone" yesterday. A stuffed bone you soak and freeze. He loved it. :) Can find at Petco

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Grizzpup 08-07-2012 09:22 AM

You soak the towel in cold water and twist it up so it is more like a bone and put it in the freezer. When I take it out I usually run it under cold water to make it colder :)