Spirit's first big outing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Spirit's first big outing

Took Spirit out today for his first big outing. First we went to the grocery store, he got to meet one nice stranger and did very well. Then we decided to try something a little more stimulating and dropped by PetCo. I was a little concerned this would be too much for him so we meandered outside for a bit, meeting people. I had plenty of treats handy. He was doing really well, a little timid but not so much that he would refuse a treat So we decided to venture in. This was huge for him ... so many people and new things to see, but he did fantastic. At one point, he was laying down in the isle, completely relaxed ... what a lovely sight! Went through the checkout line with me with no problems.

Then we dropped by the police station. I went in and asked if a uniformed police officer could come out and meet Spirit -- hah, they probably thought I was nuts. But a policeman did come out and Spirit took a treat from him without any display of timidity of fear. Wish I had a picture of that moment.

First big outing -- very successful. He's sleeping soundly now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Knighted Member

What an excellent idea! I never would have thought to stop at the police station like that.
Sheilah
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ellen View Post
Took Spirit out today for his first big outing. First we went to the grocery store, he got to meet one nice stranger and did very well. Then we decided to try something a little more stimulating and dropped by PetCo. I was a little concerned this would be too much for him so we meandered outside for a bit, meeting people. I had plenty of treats handy. He was doing really well, a little timid but not so much that he would refuse a treat So we decided to venture in. This was huge for him ... so many people and new things to see, but he did fantastic. At one point, he was laying down in the isle, completely relaxed ... what a lovely sight! Went through the checkout line with me with no problems.

Then we dropped by the police station. I went in and asked if a uniformed police officer could come out and meet Spirit -- hah, they probably thought I was nuts. But a policeman did come out and Spirit took a treat from him without any display of timidity of fear. Wish I had a picture of that moment.

First big outing -- very successful. He's sleeping soundly now
Very good job Take him to as many places as you can without freaking him out...Drive thru's are good too. I always take mine and I have her window down enough for her to put her nose out. She doesn't make a peep, but its almost funny to see the reactions that people have when they are handing you the food I also take her to the gas station quite often and she just sits in the back seat looking around, never makes a sound. Pet stores, parks, etc. I have ventured to pet expos, firework shows, and festivals. Its so second nature to her now that noises, lots of people, and lots of dogs do not bother her at all.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page