Too much too soon? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Charmander52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest US
Posts: 77
Too much too soon?

First off, thanks to everyone who answered my previous questions over the last several months.
Second, I found my first GSD! Yay! 9 weeks old now; unfortunately, he won't be able to come home permanently for a couple more weeks (not by choice lol). Though I do get to visit him and tomorrow we get to bring him home for the day.
Anyway, I've read a lot about socialization, but have a question.
A couple of my friends and I are going to our Renaissance Festival in either late August or early September. I know they allow dogs and I'd really like to take the little furball if possible for socialization. But I also don't want to take him when he's too young to handle all the people, smells, sights, etc.
Anyone have thoughts on this? I'd appreciate it. I know I won't take him if he doesn't have all his shots done, but I have to check the paperwork again about how far along he is on those. Thanks!
Sorry if the pictures are too small or too big... First time I've tried uploading them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0731121609.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	19452   Click image for larger version

Name:	0731121621.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	19453  
Charmander52 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,832
I don't think I would just because that is a lot for a little guy and what are you going to do when he gets tired? Leave?

Elaine and the herd
Elaine is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Charmander52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest US
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
I don't think I would just because that is a lot for a little guy and what are you going to do when he gets tired? Leave?
Actually, I probably would. My introverted self can only take so much RenFest.
But thanks anyway. Your answer's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being too cautious. Maybe next year when he's bigger/older/more experienced.
Charmander52 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmander52 View Post
First off, thanks to everyone who answered my previous questions over the last several months.
Second, I found my first GSD! Yay! 9 weeks old now; unfortunately, he won't be able to come home permanently for a couple more weeks (not by choice lol). Though I do get to visit him and tomorrow we get to bring him home for the day.
Anyway, I've read a lot about socialization, but have a question.
A couple of my friends and I are going to our Renaissance Festival in either late August or early September. I know they allow dogs and I'd really like to take the little furball if possible for socialization. But I also don't want to take him when he's too young to handle all the people, smells, sights, etc.
Anyone have thoughts on this? I'd appreciate it. I know I won't take him if he doesn't have all his shots done, but I have to check the paperwork again about how far along he is on those. Thanks!
Sorry if the pictures are too small or too big... First time I've tried uploading them.
Depends on the dog and the socialization it has had prior to when you get it.

Don't be upset if they can't handle, say a trip to Pet Smart as soon as you get it, or parks. Shepherds are very smart, and very cautious and inquisitive. They can be very "shy" as puppies at times, and many people often mistake fear as aggression (barking at a dog when they are puppies). A lab on the other hand might not have a problem with it. Puppies also have a "fear period", so one thing might bother them one day, and not another day.

Socialization is VERY important for a GSD up to 16 weeks and after as well. The important thing is to always make them as positive as you can up to 16 weeks. You want NO bad experiences. You want them as confident as possible.

Meeting dogs that you know or that aren't doing to mouth them, put them in submission is good.

Playing with other puppies is good (provided they have had shots). Puppy classes are fantastic for socialization if you don't have a ton of friends with dogs you can absolutely trust, not to scare the pup.

Taking the dog to the park and letting strangers/kids give them a treat and associating the outside world as "fun" is important (if you want a highly social dog).

If you have had other breeds you might be shocked at how strongly the GSD attaches to you and and your family and how aloof or unsure it might be with people outside it.

Sometimes you have to drive them to a park instead of walking to a park (if in a highly populated area). GSD's LOVE car rides.

What am I saying? Only give the puppy as much as it can handle. It all pays off later on. You will have a confident, GSD that can handle anything. Also later on? People often will AVOID you, when they see a GSD walking down the street, so it is much harder to socialize them later on.

One more thing. Always try to end it on a positive note. Say a leaf blows on a walk and they are scared of it. Be calm, let the puppy go up to it (or anything they aren't sure about) and praise the **** out of them when they do it.

The mistake would be to walk the other way and encourage the fear.
kateydog is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmander52 View Post
Actually, I probably would. My introverted self can only take so much RenFest.
But thanks anyway. Your answer's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being too cautious. Maybe next year when he's bigger/older/more experienced.
For sure I would take him next year so long as he grows into a well behaved, social guy. Then he will be better able to handle the crowds and food smells for a longer period of time.

Elaine and the herd
Elaine is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Midnight12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver Co
Posts: 457
I would also be concerned with how hot it might be, when we go in co, it is always very hot there.
Midnight12 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Moderator
 
JakodaCD OA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Old Lyme, CT USA
Posts: 21,382
I agree with Katey on how well he's doing up to that point socialization wise..And if it's to hot I'd leave him home.

Otherwise, heck I've taken my puppies to functions like that tho they are usually around 4months old, and places I 'knew' were going to be 'safe'..and also because I knew they could handle all the bustle and business going on..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Charmander52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest US
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight12 View Post
I would also be concerned with how hot it might be, when we go in co, it is always very hot there.
Yeah, I had thought about that, too. I was planning to take a water bowl for him if I took him.
Thanks for the replies! He's been around other dogs and when we've visited him, I never heard a peep from him. And he definitely loved playing with the other dogs.
Guess I'll see how far he is in socialization. He'll be right around 4 months by the time we'd be going, but again, I don't want to throw too much at him at once.
Charmander52 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Elite Member
 
PatchonGSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,514
YAY!! Congrats on your puppy! Whats his name?
PatchonGSD is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Charmander52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest US
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
YAY!! Congrats on your puppy! Whats his name?
Thanks! His name's Deeks after the character from NCIS: LA (mock if you wish, I'm sure my dad will). He's completely adorable and I'm in love already.
At the moment he's asleep on my hand. Makes it hard to type. The cats hate him, of course, and scared him earlier... but the most exciting moment was when he jumped off our back porch! THAT was scary. But he seems ok. I told my mom he definitely lives up to his name; Deeks on LA ends up doing stuff like that a lot, too.
Charmander52 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome