Best "mind exercises" and toys? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Best "mind exercises" and toys?

Memphis is 3 months old and is surprisingly good so far. He doesn't wine in his cage, he walks pretty well on his leash, he learned sit, give me your paw, now your other paw and a few other small tricks within 2 days, and most importantly he loooooves us. He's just so sweet. However, we do work all day and while I take him for at least 2-3 30 minute + walks each day where we run and explore, etc, and train him for 15-20 minutes once or twice each day he still needs to burn off more energy as he is in his crate during the day while we are away (though we do have someone come midday to run him around for about 20 minutes every day). I read that they need to be challenged - not just physically by running around, etc, but also mentally. What have you found, besides the basic sit, stay, roll over type training that works best/is most enjoyed?

Also, what toys do you have the most success with in keeping them occupied? My dog DESTROYS stuffed animals within minutes. He will not only rip them apart, but nibble off certain pieces until they come off and then he swallows them. So all his stuffed toys have been thrown out but he loves those best - more so than the safe rubber toys - of course. I don't even like giving him rope, he unknots it in an hour and so it has to be thrown away or he'll choke. He loves his Kong, but only if i stuff it with cookies or peanut butter and I'm not sure how often he should be eating that stuff...

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Crowned Member

Have you tried a treat ball? Delgado adores his and will chase it forever trying to get every little bit of food out of it. I just use a little kibble in it so it's a very inexpensive and healthy treat for him

Have you signed up for obedience classes? They can help teach you tricks as well as obedience and it's a good time for canine and humans alike.

Other then that, doggie playdates are a great way to burn off energy, if there's a park nearby or even just a friend who has a suitable dog try meeting up once or twice a week and let them run together. Hopefully you'll be able to find a matching playmate

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Sorry he doesn't "whine" in his cage, not wine. Too early for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I will definitely be signing him up for training, but he's still too little. We got him at 10 weeks and I'm not sure if he had his first round of shots, so the vet is assuming 'no', and so he's only had 1 set so far. second set this Saturday... Are there any things I can do in the mean time?

Also, as far as the obedience classes -- he's so rough that I feel he'd only do well with large dogs. He does what the boxers do - where he almost boxes and hugs around the dogs necks. What should I be doing now so that he doesn't attack a puppy in obedience classes? He's just trying to play but he is so big already - by the time he is able to go to puppy classes he's going to be huge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page