need help with socalising my pup! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

need help with socalising my pup!

Hi guys, I have a female gsd that is about 8-9 months old now. Shes a great dog in general but Im having nothing but trouble when walking her. If we see other dogs or birds she goes crazy trying to get at them. I have tried to use basic commands to stop her like no or focus, to try get her attention on me instead of the other animals but it seems like she just has tunnel vision and nothing i can say will stop her. has anyone been through this before that can suggest any other methods to stop this? I really want to start walking her off lead so we can play fetch but i just cant trust her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Knighted Member

Is she very toy or food motivated? Have you tried to walk the other way and make yourself more fun by giving treats or playing with a toy or ball?

My dog is very food motivated so I can get his attention with treats. I had a very drivey working line GSD foster who couldn't care less about treats, but was obsessed with a ball. So, when I would see something that would set her off on walks I got her attention with the ball first and teased her with it then would give it to her. She was so focused on the ball that she didn't care as much about the distraction.

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, she is very toy motivated so i will try a toy next time we are out walking. All she wants to do with the other dogs is play she never tried to attack any dogs when she did get up close to them. Would a harness or prong collar or choke chain be betterr for her than a standard nylon collar? Its just that she pulls so much that im afraid she will do damage to her neck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:48 AM
Banned

how much training does your dog have?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

we went to 8 puppy classes together were we learnt the basic commands (which i still reinforce at home) but it all goes out the window when we go out walking i got one of these today to try and grab her attention when we have encounters with other animals Google Image Result for http://www.dogsupplies.com/product_images/f/921/kongfootball__70021_zoom.jpg
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian 123 View Post
thanks for the reply, she is very toy motivated so i will try a toy next time we are out walking. All she wants to do with the other dogs is play she never tried to attack any dogs when she did get up close to them. Would a harness or prong collar or choke chain be betterr for her than a standard nylon collar? Its just that she pulls so much that im afraid she will do damage to her neck

A choke collar is going to do more damage to her neck. People use a prong as a correction collar and it needs to be fitted and used properly. Personally, I would not resort to this just yet since you are trying the toy and you might also want to read about the "look at that" game and see if that might work for you. You could get a harness though.

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the tips, i will do some research on that game after work. Im actually waiting on a harness to be delivered so hopefully that will help. I ordered a juliusk9 power harness.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian 123 View Post
thanks for the tips, i will do some research on that game after work. Im actually waiting on a harness to be delivered so hopefully that will help. I ordered a juliusk9 power harness.

oooooohhh very trendy

edit: and remember, these methods are not a quick fix and will take time, so don't give up right away!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 03:09 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Puppy classes are wonderful, but just the very start of the classes I always need with my dogs. Kind of like just sending a child to kindergarten and thinking DONE!

So I'd recommend going back for more classes.

Clicker training is also a huge help. Have you started that yet? So much clearer to the pup (and to us )

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...t-puppies.html

Once you get a good start of that and teaching Games --> Teaching a trick is the least important part of teaching a trick

You then start with The Surprise Party

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 07-28-2012 at 03:12 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 PM

looks like the harness you are getting is a top ring attachment only. This causes the dog to pull. Look into a sensiharness. Its not a non pull harness but it does have a different attachment and better control on the dog. Also look up a #2 holt head collar. Your dog is young give her a chance to be a puppy and learn slow with a ton of training. They are in the moment. Go to a clicker style trainer and they can help you. Training never stops. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page