What would you do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

What would you do?

So the other day my husband and I had our friends over for dinner. While I was preparing the meal my husband was out with his friend playing fetch with both our dogs and it was great. Then they came in and I put Ruger...the pup in his crate while we ate.

When we finished dinner I went and let Ruger out and he wanted to come in the living room with us. My husband's friend started stomping at him to scare him. In his defense he thought he was playing with him, but I didn't like it.

So I called Ruger to me and had him lay by me...then when some time had passed I went and put him in his crate so it didn't look obvious that that was the reason I put him up.

I feel I did the best in my situation...would you have done anything differently? My friend just ignored him (she doesn't care for dogs).

Would it have been a situation where you ask them to stop or would I come off as a crazy dog owner?

Ruger ~ 4/20/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kiah ~ 4/23/2009 ~ Australian cattle dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Master Member

Your house, your rules. I would have been pissed.

How would you feel if he did that and scared your young son or daughter?

I used to fight all those battles (wife's family not dog lovers) and anymore unless I know who is coming and am home, he gets crated.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Master Member

I think you showed remarkable restraint and diplomacy. You'd have been right to laughingly step between them and ask the friend not to act that way because the dog isn't mature enough to understand that kind of play yet.

When I was a kid we had some cousins visit who spent the better part of an afternoon chasing King around and throwing a football at him. He remained scared of footballs the rest of his life.

Liesl, b. 1/1/11
Maxie, 1994-2009
King, 1963-1968
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Elite Member

The way you handled it was fine; but don't feel bad about letting people know if you don't like what they are doing with your pup. It's your pup, not theirs. You have the right to intervene. It doesn't have to be a negative thing. If a person is doing that, than he/she obviously doesn't know he/she shouldn't. So you have to tell them. If your dog was jumping on your guest, you would intervene, wouldn't you? Same concept.

Angela_______________________________
Danny (husband) ~ Samantha (daughter) ~
Rocco (GSD)
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 PM

I would have ripped him a new one, and gave him a little education on how to act around dogs.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Crowned Member

I think human-human dynamics are so complex that you probably did the absolute right thing in that situation at that time with that person.

I mean even using up 1000 words it is just impossible to give all the details, who this guy is to your family, how often he is likely to visit, what he was probably thinking, and so on and so forth. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to say or do anything, save protect the pup, which is what you did.

You protected the dog, didn't alienate anyone, did not scare the dog in the process, did not upset your husband, etc. It sounds like you did enough and not too much, in my opinion.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Elite Member

most people know my dogs and know me, so they don't do stupid **** like that. But one time, my SIL's friend and her husband came over (they were visiting from the west coast) and her husband starts flicking one of my dogs in the ear.

Needless to say she turned and got in his face with the i'm gonna kill you bark and I quickly called her back. Then told him not to ask for something he didn't want.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Crowned Member

You were nicer than I would have been.
I would have said, "Not a good idea. That will make him aggressive. Please, just ignore him."

When Hans was much younger, someone much older and, I thought, wiser, who had had a GSD as a child, came to visit. While petting Hans, he grabbed his snout and held on. Before I opened my mouth to say something, he stopped and didn't do it again. But, needless to say, I wanted to smack him. Good thing my dog is the sweetheart he is. Another might have bitten him.

After that happened, I decided that when visitors come here, they are briefed on how to act around the dog even before they come in. That way, we don't have any misunderstandings and Hans gets socialized appropriately.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 07-23-2012 at 06:08 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for some other options. This was the first time they came over, but I'm certain there will be more times. My husband and him are hunting buddies and his wife and I both work at the school.

I don't mean to offend any gentlemen out there and I see some did chime in saying that our friend was basically a dumb bunny; but does anyone else notice that men tend to do this to dogs often? I don't know if it is their desire to play rough or what. My brother did this to my mom's poodle growing up and made her scared of men

I can think of many more off the top of my head that react to dogs similarly. Again...I'm not saying all men, just some (you usually don't see a woman stomping around at a dog)

Ruger ~ 4/20/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kiah ~ 4/23/2009 ~ Australian cattle dog
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 AM

I don't know any man that stomps his feet around a dog I certainly wouldn't. I play rough all the time with my nephew and my daughters but I don't stomp feet.

At the very least I think its much easier to curb behavior before it stats with an explanation "So we have a new puppy, and we're trying to socialize him so that he doesn't get silly excited when people come over and run around and bark and be a pain. so please ignore him, or if you do feel the need to pet him pet him calmly, we don't want to associate erratic play in the house with guests, and he's just a baby"

Or something like that, I find its much easier to always explain before hand, as people sometimes get annoyed / upset / confrontational if approach their behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page