No bed effect development? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

No bed effect development?

I am new here and wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but I hope this will work..
So I just adopted a new GSD about a month 1/2 ago. He's 6 months old. He chews on everything, which I'm aware that is normal, but he has chewed up (destroyed) the two beds I've put in his crate. I've only put the beds in there because someone warned me that as a puppy he can't sleep on a hard surface because it will effect the development of his bones. Is this true? Or can I take everything out of his crate at night so he'll stop making a enormous mess! haha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Knighted Member

My dogs have always slept on bare plastic crate floors. Soft fluffy beds are only for when out of the crate here. We live in a very warm/hot area so bare floors are cooler. During the winter I put a mutt mat in the crate but no fluffy stuff for her to eat.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Luckily Woolf values his bed lol

Now, my lab on the other hand, a different story. She is stuck with having a towel in her crate to lay on. If she starts chewing towels, it will go to the bare plastic.

If your pup has already gone through a few beds, time to give up on the soft bed for him. Try a pad or a towel, and if he persists on the chewing, bare plastic.

If he swallowed any of the bedding, could end up with a blockage. Expensive for you and dangerous for the dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookoser View Post
I've only put the beds in there because someone warned me that as a puppy he can't sleep on a hard surface because it will effect the development of his bones.
Total nonsense. It's not only expensive to put things in the crate that your pup will only destroy, but it's potentially dangerous too as your pup could be eating some of it.

I never put anything in a crate with a puppy. Once they are older and can be trusted not to chew things up, you can put a crate pad in there.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
Total nonsense. It's not only expensive to put things in the crate that your pup will only destroy, but it's potentially dangerous too as your pup could be eating some of it.

I never put anything in a crate with a puppy. Once they are older and can be trusted not to chew things up, you can put a crate pad in there.
^Yep

Dawn Brogan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post

This. Take everything out of the crate.

Angela_______________________________
Danny (husband) ~ Samantha (daughter) ~
Rocco (GSD)
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:56 PM

The most my dog had as a puppy in her crate was a towel or a blanket. She had a fluffy bed once at about 5 months, someone got it for her for Christmas, and within a week, she had stripped the cover off of it and de-stuffed the pillow, so she was put on a stuffy bed ban. She never bothered the blankets or towels, and to this day, it's all that will be put in the bottom of her crate. She turned out fine (good elbows, excellent hips, healthy as can be), so I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of it affecting his development.

SG2 CAC Discoe vom haus Huro, BH, AD, CD, TDI, CGC-A, CGC, HOT, OFA-Excellent, CERF

RIP Reba von Treue Freundschaft, CGC, TDI
May 11, 2005 - May 23, 2013
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Crowned Member

Nothing is in the crate here. Hans is a chewer/destroyer/eater. He actually prefers to sleep on bare floors because they are cooler.

If the bone thing were true, a lot of working dogs would have been a mess. You think they had fluffy dog beds at the Czech/DDR kennels where they bred and kept their dogs?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 PM

Cassie never ate her beds, but when I'd check on her she would always have them pushed to the side and be sleeping on the cool plastic. I still put a one-inch patio chair cushion in with her just in case she wants to lay on it...rarely does but I feel less guilty. If she was a major chewer/eater I would take everything out for sure.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Banned

Mine chewed his plastic thing when he got bored once. Never got him another one and just put a soft bed type thing in there. Hard things won't do anything bad to the bones. My dog to this day prefers to sleep on hardwood floors and tiled floors because they're colder. If a cold floor is available, you won't be able to convince him to lay on a couch or carpet for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page