Hip Displaysia in 6 Month Old Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Hip Displaysia in 6 Month Old Puppy

I'm almost afraid to ask

I noticed the little bunny hop in Jake when I was playing ball with him today. He's not showing any discomfort. He's still doing stairs and jumping without hesitation. Plus he has a bit of a weird gait (sp?) when he walks.

I know a vet visit is in order. But what is the recommended joint supplement? Would it be a good idea to start this before seeing the vet?

Ugh .... Love Jake, but we weren't anticipating digestive issues and now potential HP. But he's part of the family now and we'll do what is necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 08:55 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Talk to your breeder and see what they say. I'm sure you made sure both parent dogs and their relations had good hip x-rays. Ask what the history of HD is in their lines.

Also, there is a condition called pano that many of our GSD's get and MANY vets mis-diagonose (saying it's HD when it is not). Pano is like 'growing pains' and can be managed while they grow out of it.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Master Member

ive been told that alot of times the bunny hop in puppies is normal as they are still growing and can be lanky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I'm not taking any chances ... I'm taking him to the vet this afternoon to have them look at his hips.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Talk to your breeder and see what they
Also, there is a condition called pano that many of our GSD's get and MANY vets mis-diagonose (saying it's HD when it is not). Pano is like 'growing pains' and can be managed while they grow out of it.
That was my first thought.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Knighted Member

Get xrays done. Only way to tell for sure. It could very well be pano or an acute injury. Don't panic yet and get xrays done to see what you are dealing with.

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 12:34 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzver View Post
I'm not taking any chances ... I'm taking him to the vet this afternoon to have them look at his hips.
GOOD FOR YOU!

Always better to get things looked at early. Just don't necessarily panic if, without x-rays your vet says HD. For some reason some vets just make blanket statements due to the fact there are so many issues with our breed and they do see problems fairly frequently.

But for those of us that do our research and stick with the responsible breeders, things tend to work out much better in the end.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Took Jake to see the vet this afternoon. She did a full orthopedic exam and did not find anything to be worried about. All joints felt normal and Jake didn't show any signs of discomfort while she was manipulating his joints. For now we're just to keep an eye on him and if he starts to favor a leg, shows any discomfort or starts hesitating with jumping/climbing stairs to bring him back in.

She did say its a little early for HD to start showing and she usually waits until 18 months to x-ray unless there is a reason to x-ray earlier.

Gave me some peace of mind. I know it doesn't mean he'll never get it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 06:57 PM

puppies are clutzy, they trip over themselves, walk weird, hop, glad your vet gave you some peace of mind, and I agree with her waiting on the xrays

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page