Can Shepherds do biking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Can Shepherds do biking

Basically, before i got my dog i was in reasonable shape, but my and my fiancee fell apart, and i let myself go. I have a 8 month old shepherd, and want to start biking again. Im wondering will she be able to handle it? The journey ill take is roughly 1-2 miles ( Not that long ) But it would be twice a day 5-6 days a week. ( She would be leashed on the way to the trail, but once we got their i would unleash her and let her run )

The trainer i worked with in the past told me not to over exercise her, and that this would be to much for her.

Also will she actually follow me and stay out the way? She had trouble with bikes in the past ( Constantly attacking them after one hit her ) But i worked hard with my trainer and now she simply ignores them. Even when a friend i know was cycling in circles around her with his shepherd, my dog just didn't care.

If you guys think its to much to ask of her at this age, i will obviously cycle alone for abit, then when she is older try with her.

Thanks in advance for responses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 06:21 AM
Master Member

Well, if the dog is not used to running that long, then start off with small trips, then raise with time
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 07:06 AM
Crowned Member

I think she'd handle that distance fine, especially if she's going to be off leash for part of it.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Knighted Member

Just like any exercise you & your dog have work up to it. I just started taking my 2-1/2 yr old back out with the bicycle again. I keep the pace down because we are riding on pavement. Most of the time she's at a slow jog or even walk. I think we go about a mile maybe a little more. My 2 older dogs are on summer vacation because it's just too hot for them right now, they both have long coats. She definately doesn't need a vacation.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Elite Member

You don't want to damage her joints, so I wouldn't bike with her on pavement until she is older. We bike with both of our dogs and use a walky-dog attachment, which works great so long as your dog is trained to heel. Definitely work up to the distance so you don't hurt her.

However, you have to remember that biking is a LOT faster than walking, so you actually have to ride rather slow for your dog to be at a nice, steady trot. You can't ride at a normal bike cruising speed and expect your dog to keep up.

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Can you drive to the trail, then unload dog/bike and have your exercise start there? Off leash for a 8 month old should be no problem, but keep an eye on her the first time so you don't over do it.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Crowned Member

You should have no problem doing this distance, just keep an eye on your dog to make sure you aren't going too fast. My concern is her past aggression to bikes and that now she will be off leash and you won't be able to control her if there are other bikes and she tries it again. Are you sure she will leave others alone?

Elaine and the herd
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Knighted Member

I got Zena in shape for the show ring by jogging her while i was on a bike. She was older though, 2 years old. I'd be leary of doing it with a dog not full grown. Take it slow at first like the other posts have said.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Crowned Member

I think that distance while biking would be fine, but I'd probably keep her leashed the entire time.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnieski View Post
You don't want to damage her joints, so I wouldn't bike with her on pavement until she is older. We bike with both of our dogs and use a walky-dog attachment, which works great so long as your dog is trained to heel. Definitely work up to the distance so you don't hurt her.
This. I'm surprised more folks haven't mentioned the joints issue. I've always been told by vets and breeders that they shouldn't be run long distances on hard surfaces until 14 months to minimize damage to hips and elbows, which makes perfect sense to me.

I start my dogs next to the bike at 14 months, and it's an excellent tool. I also have the Walky-dog, best thing ever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page