Dog Socialization? (text heavy) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Dog Socialization? (text heavy)

My GSD Schatzi is about to turn 7 months on the 15th. I've only had her for about two months (though it seems like I've had her for A LOT longer than that) and have noticed some weary/aggressive behaviors emerging. The day I got her she got along fantastically with Ellie my sheltie and Rocky my dad's 3-legged boxer, and also does really good with my friend's GSD. However, when I take her on a walk, to petsmart, and especially the dog park she'll raise her hackles and has started to bark at other dogs. Her behavior at the dog park is the worst, as she "camps" and will try and stand between my legs. When dogs try to engage her in play she'll run straight to me, and if the dog pursues, she will bark at it and has even started bearing her teeth. I am starting to believe that temperment affects her reaction more than anything, because highly energetic dogs seem to unnerve her the most, despite the fact she is high energy herself. Any suggestions? I have tried taking her to the dog park on several occasions and if its not a ghost-town, then she gets overwhelmed with a large group of frenzied dogs and refuses to play or leave my side.

~Taylor~
Schatzi- Patterned Sable GSD ~12/15/11
Ellie- Sable and White Sheltie ~9/8/09

R.I.P
Mocha- Tortoiseshell calico

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwolf94 View Post
My GSD Schatzi is about to turn 7 months on the 15th. I've only had her for about two months (though it seems like I've had her for A LOT longer than that) and have noticed some weary/aggressive behaviors emerging. The day I got her she got along fantastically with Ellie my sheltie and Rocky my dad's 3-legged boxer, and also does really good with my friend's GSD. However, when I take her on a walk, to petsmart, and especially the dog park she'll raise her hackles and has started to bark at other dogs. Her behavior at the dog park is the worst, as she "camps" and will try and stand between my legs. When dogs try to engage her in play she'll run straight to me, and if the dog pursues, she will bark at it and has even started bearing her teeth. I am starting to believe that temperment affects her reaction more than anything, because highly energetic dogs seem to unnerve her the most, despite the fact she is high energy herself. Any suggestions? I have tried taking her to the dog park on several occasions and if its not a ghost-town, then she gets overwhelmed with a large group of frenzied dogs and refuses to play or leave my side.

I would suggest keeping her away from dog parks for now. If she is scared then anything that she feels is a bad experience will do her more harm then good. Have you tried any puppy classes? She needs to build up her confidence with stable dogs whether its one or two at a time, but not a whole group. Hackles up can mean different things, my pup's go up when she is happy and excited. Yours sounds like its fear. If you take her to Petsmart, try putting her in a sit and at a distance from other dogs, keep her focused on you and show her its not bad to have other dogs around her. It might take some work, but it needs to be done

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I would suggest keeping her away from dog parks for now. If she is scared then anything that she feels is a bad experience will do her more harm then good. Have you tried any puppy classes? She needs to build up her confidence with stable dogs whether its one or two at a time, but not a whole group. Hackles up can mean different things, my pup's go up when she is happy and excited. Yours sounds like its fear. If you take her to Petsmart, try putting her in a sit and at a distance from other dogs, keep her focused on you and show her its not bad to have other dogs around her. It might take some work, but it needs to be done
I think you're right. It's interesting because her hackles raise when she plays with Ellie and it looks different than when they're raised when she is alert/fearful/aggressive. But that is good advice and I'll definitely use it! Thanks so much

~Taylor~

R.I.P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Crowned Member

TayTay!!! It might also do some good to introduce her to dogs like Tonka (: He's enough like Rocky that he would be a good one to train her with for a while. Koda's gettng better, too. So next time you're up here we can walk them both together at Swift Cantrell. There are enough people, dogs, etc to make it a good training experience. I mean. There's a dog park there, so even if we avoid going in, we will pass enough dogs and see enough that it could do her some good If we follow Llom's distance advice

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
TayTay!!! It might also do some good to introduce her to dogs like Tonka (: He's enough like Rocky that he would be a good one to train her with for a while. Koda's gettng better, too. So next time you're up here we can walk them both together at Swift Cantrell. There are enough people, dogs, etc to make it a good training experience. I mean. There's a dog park there, so even if we avoid going in, we will pass enough dogs and see enough that it could do her some good If we follow Llom's distance advice
Sounds good!

~Taylor~

R.I.P

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Crowned Member

Great!!! Maybe when you move up this way we'll do it? It'll be a nice break from moving stuff, unpacking, etc.

Kymmey
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
Great!!! Maybe when you move up this way we'll do it? It'll be a nice break from moving stuff, unpacking, etc.
Indeed it would! And I'm sure Schatzi would be eager to train with her cousin

~Taylor~

R.I.P

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwolf94 View Post
Indeed it would! And I'm sure Schatzi would be eager to train with her cousin
Well Koda DEFINITELY misses her little cuz already! ;D

Kymmey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page