Bringing my Pup to a Playdate-- Never met. Suggestions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Bringing my Pup to a Playdate-- Never met. Suggestions?

Hey all,

I'm bringing my pup to meet another dog for a playdate. I saw this person's posting on craigslist and I always want Dante to have a chance to socialize and play with other dogs so I contacted her and we've arranged to meet tomorrow. She lives about 30 minutes away from where I live. Any suggestions for this type of thing? She has a husky/shepherd mix.

I guess what I'm asking is: Have people heard bad things about craigslist meeting strangers with dogs? (Turning into a dog kidnapping scheme?) Any words of advice on caution and/or etiquette?

Last edited by Madjukes; 07-12-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Master Member

I'd be a little leary of meeting someone off CL. If you can have a friend go with you and carry your cell phone at all times. Are you meeting at their home or a open field? Is the location you are going fenced in? Did you ask what type of personality their dog has around strange dogs? I'd also drive past the location a few times before actually stopping. This way you can see if it is a safe place to get out or a place you dont feel safe to be alone at with a stranger. If at all possible don't go inside the home if you are meeting at their home try to stay outside and in view of your car if possible.

As far as if it checks out to be safe keep you dog on leash but have it on the ground and stand on it. This way the other dog doesnt react to you holding a leash and thinks the dog is free. Let them sniff for a few mins and back them off and keep eyes out for body language bwt the two dogs. Some hackling with wagging tails is ok but any growling, teeth showing etc is not. If at any point you dont feel comfortable tell the person and head home. Some dogs get along great with all dogs and some dont. Hopefully everything will be great and you will make a good play date friend. If not ask on here if anyone is local and interested in a get together.

Lexi- GSD/Bull Mastiff
Zeus-GSD
Kimber-GSD
Diesel-GSD
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Master Member

Stay totally public in open spaces. Take someone with you. Tell someone where you are, when you're there and when you'll be back. Check in immediately afterwards. Chances are you'll be safe, but there's also a slim chance you're not ... and you obviously feel that, you're asking the questions. Don't give any personal information at this stage, I wouldn't let this person know where you live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly1331 View Post
I'd be a little leary of meeting someone off CL. If you can have a friend go with you and carry your cell phone at all times. Are you meeting at their home or a open field? Is the location you are going fenced in? Did you ask what type of personality their dog has around strange dogs? I'd also drive past the location a few times before actually stopping. This way you can see if it is a safe place to get out or a place you dont feel safe to be alone at with a stranger. If at all possible don't go inside the home if you are meeting at their home try to stay outside and in view of your car if possible.

As far as if it checks out to be safe keep you dog on leash but have it on the ground and stand on it. This way the other dog doesnt react to you holding a leash and thinks the dog is free. Let them sniff for a few mins and back them off and keep eyes out for body language bwt the two dogs. Some hackling with wagging tails is ok but any growling, teeth showing etc is not. If at any point you dont feel comfortable tell the person and head home. Some dogs get along great with all dogs and some dont. Hopefully everything will be great and you will make a good play date friend. If not ask on here if anyone is local and interested in a get together.
Their dog is really friendly and energetic dog, so she says. I just slept it on and I decided that yea, you guys are right, I should be a bit leery of meeting strangers on CL. The possible risk outweighs the reward.

As far as I know, only llombardo lives somewhat close to where I do, but it's hard to find a public fenced in area that allows dogs. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ellen View Post
Stay totally public in open spaces. Take someone with you. Tell someone where you are, when you're there and when you'll be back. Check in immediately afterwards. Chances are you'll be safe, but there's also a slim chance you're not ... and you obviously feel that, you're asking the questions. Don't give any personal information at this stage, I wouldn't let this person know where you live.
Yea, you're right. The slim chance of something not good happening (I"m more worried about possible dog kidnapping schemes, where you hear about people taking dogs into cars and running) than anything happening to myself.

Thanks for your advice folks!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:58 AM

whew. thank you for changing your mind. LOL.

the thought sounds nice...but thats too risky for me.

ever go to dog training classes? would be a great place to get to know people and possible work out playdates
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

I got Dante when I was at college, so I've never had a chance to go to dog training classes. On top of the time issues, I'm also a poor college student so my wallet is pretty thin lol. That being said, I have put a huge amount of time and energy into training him myself, getting him socialized, taking him for walks, exercising him, etc.

I'm always looking for more dogs for him to play with though! Especially ones that have a lot of energy and are used to jumping on each other and knocking each other over.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Crowned Member

Where in Illinois are you located?

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

In Naperville, western suburbs. Any chance you're close?

Dante- 2/9/12
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Knighted Member

Yes, very bad idea to meet with a total stranger. I'm glad you cancelled. I only do play dates with people I know. Jas and another GSD puppy that took a class together meet a lot. The gal tried to get a hold of me one day but i was at work. She had her dog in her van when she was at work. ( This was before it got hot.) She took the dog to the dog park over lunch thinking she could throw a ball for him anyway. Her dog got all excited when she got there. She said she thinks he thought Jas was going to be there. he ran in, looked around, then laid down under the picnic table , ignored the ball and wouldn't move. LOL
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjukes View Post
In Naperville, western suburbs. Any chance you're close?
I'm in Zion, I am not sure how far away Naperville is.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page