Trip to the dog park - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Trip to the dog park

I am planning on bringing Brutus to our local dog park this weekend if it stops raining. It would be our first trip there and I am nervous to see how he would respond. He barks and tries to pull on the leash when we go to the vet or a dog store. He also barks at our neighbors dog everytime we go outside. I want to get him socialized but I don't want him to run and attack another dog. I am debating on wether this would be a good idea or not. I want him to run and play until his little heart is content but, I don't want something to happen around other animals. Any advice on what to do ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Banned

Don't take him to the dog park. Let him see the dogs and get calm before going in there. If he pulls and barks it means he isn't ready to meet the other dogs. What you need to do is test him in controlled situations...a dog park is not controlled, you can't expect the other dog owners to meet you and your dog's needs and keep their dogs leashed and under control while you deal with your dog's issues.

Barking can easily be misconstrued by the owners and their dogs. Owners will get nervous, their dogs will get nervous, and problems will start. It doesn't sound like you know how your dog would react to a dog in his face/close to him, but from a distance he barks. Until you know how your dog will react to other dogs, you shouldn't endanger other dogs at the park because YOU want to socialize your dog. Get a group of friends together, or go to training classes where your dog can meet dogs in a much more controlled environment.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Don't take him to the dog park. Let him see the dogs and get calm before going in there. If he pulls and barks it means he isn't ready to meet the other dogs. What you need to do is test him in controlled situations...a dog park is not controlled, you can't expect the other dog owners to meet you and your dog's needs and keep their dogs leashed and under control while you deal with your dog's issues.

Barking can easily be misconstrued by the owners and their dogs. Owners will get nervous, their dogs will get nervous, and problems will start. It doesn't sound like you know how your dog would react to a dog in his face/close to him, but from a distance he barks. Until you know how your dog will react to other dogs, you shouldn't endanger other dogs at the park because YOU want to socialize your dog. Get a group of friends together, or go to training classes where your dog can meet dogs in a much more controlled environment.

Thank you ! I will try to do that. I know friends who have dogs that way it is just one dog at a time and lots of people. I never really thought about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:24 PM

Is it possible to walk around the dog park and let him get used to the sight/smell/sound of other dogs till he calms down? The off-leash park near my house has a walking track around that I go to sometimes with Tank to work on proofing his obedience around distractions.

Ravel Vom Leineholz aka Tank (9/8/2011)
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amt6121 View Post
. It would be our first trip there and I am nervous to see how he would respond.
First and foremost YOU have to be calm. If the dogs sense any nervousness on your end, then there can be issues. Some dogs react different on leash then they do off leash. I would not go unless you are ready for anything that can occur...mainly breaking up a dog fight.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankin View Post
Is it possible to walk around the dog park and let him get used to the sight/smell/sound of other dogs till he calms down? The off-leash park near my house has a walking track around that I go to sometimes with Tank to work on proofing his obedience around distractions.
It is around the college campus so it is a main parking lot for the university. The other half of the dog park is a skate ramp and a baseball field. I think we are going to just try getting him used to being around one dog then adding another one and see how he does with that. He is also going to a training course in the next week or two so we can work with him on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page