Socalization problem, help. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Socalization problem, help.

My neighbours have a 2 year old not fixed lab mix, that at 120 pounds, towers over all the other dogs at our dog friendly apartment buidling. These neighbours, in my oppinion, are horrible dog owners. They refuse to walk their dogs, even though they keep big breeds that chew the house apart, and have little control over the aggression that comes with owning big breeds. With 8 dogs in the building, all the neighbours have been treating the dogs as a pack, socializing them daily, helping each other with training and babysitting when away, its been fine for a while.

Well, untill we got a 4 month old female GS mix.

We introduced our new additon, Willow, it our older mixed dog, Luka, and they instantly became soul mates, never wanting to be away from the others side if possible. Its just been a dream, well until our neighbours let their dog out of the door while our pups was out.

Needless to say, it didn't go over well. The male refuses to leave her alone, he towers over her, bullies her and will out of the blue try to attack her if he can.

Is this something that can possibly be fixed as our Willow gets spayed? Or is there some method I can use to get the male to leave her alone? He gets along with every other dog in the house, so its un fair to have one or the other put away when the pack is socalizing.

Anyone have any tips? We've tried introducing them the correct way and everything. Im out of options and terrified that this dog will grab my pup (like he has one of my cats) and seriously hurt her.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Crowned Member

Keep your puppy AWAY from that dog.

At this age a negative dog encounter might affect her for life and having to deal with a dog-aggressive dog is NOT fun.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
Keep your puppy AWAY from that dog.

At this age a negative dog encounter might affect her for life and having to deal with a dog-aggressive dog is NOT fun.
You can't fix the bigger aggressive dog, and since it's owner isn't helping, your goal is to protect your puppy.

Our job with proper socialization is to protect our pup and manage their world so they think the world is a marvelous place full of wonderful things and they can't wait to go out into it! That way a happy confident puppy becomes a wonderful stable adult dog!

See if you can find some puppy classes to socialize, or just go out with the 'good' dogs.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 10:08 AM

I agree with the others, nothing you can do. It's not your dog. Keep your puppy safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page